Very sick cat

We have a 15 yo cat that has Hypothyroidism. We tried to control it with medication, but since that wasn't working, she got surgery on the 10th. Since then, she's not been good, in fact, her weight is under 4 pounds. She only lays around, doesn't eat (have to force-feed her). Took her to the vet yesterday and he did an x-ray...finding out that she has cancer. He said without steroid treatment, she has about a week to live. He gave her a shot of steroids saying if she isn't considerably better by Sunday, then the steroids aren't working for her.

I've already accepted that I very well may have to call the vet on Monday to set up *THE* appointment because I'm honestly not seeing her pulling through this and I don't want her to suffer more than she has to. DH keeps saying that's too soon and that we should keep trying...not accepting that if the steroids don't work, NOTHING will.

How do I convince him this would be for the best?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Pets

• . My own cat had this surgury years ago and did well but months later he too was diagnosed with Cancer. I have lost 4 of my cats to Cancer in recent years. I am truly sorry you are facing this. I know it is a hard decision to make. A lot of people when faced with this are not ready to let go. Talk to him about her quality of life. The Cancer will cause her waste away even more then the hyperthyroidism and it will cause her pain.Last December, just days before Christmas we discovered that my cat had intestinal Lymphoma. She must have had it for awhile but hid her pain from me until it was unbareable and even though i had made that decision several times before i was in denial and did not want to even think about putting her to sleep until after Christmas. We also had the option of sugury but that night i saw just how much pain she was n and how she kept going for me. I realized i was being selfish because i was not ready.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I personally would just let her go she is 15 yo and she has Cancer it seems like the Vet is in it for the money( i hate to sound cold). I myself went through this a few years back with my Dog I spent close to 2,000 and STILL had to put my dog to sleep even though the Vet was extremely optimistic the whole time about my dogs long term survival rate he made it through the surgery fine but sadly he go Sepsis. Take Care with what ever option you chose.
    Anonymous

• Tell DH her quality of life is shot and fifteen years is a good, long life. It's okay to let her go at this point. I'm sorry to hear it but it sounds like you guys have done what you can. Good for you for being good cat parents.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• She is a very old cat. It is probably her time. At this point even if you do go through with all of the treatments she probably won't live much longer anyways. She has a had a very long and full life. She is pain and she is sick. Maybe set up an apt with the vet and explain to the vet you are ready to let her go and have the vet talk to your husband? It's never easy. Best wishes
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2009