What are the major differences between Autism('high functioning') and sever ADHD?

My son is being evaluated in a month. I just wondered what the key differences were. You know what will point them in one direction or the other. I'm nervous.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• It doesn't really matter WHAT his label is - the only thing that matters is finding things that work for him. Structure is important to all kids, and doubly important to kids with special needs - all special needs. Implement structure into your day and develop a routine. Does he need speech therapy, OT, social groups, etc? Enroll him.
    You can look up both labels online and look at their major characteristics, but there is a lot of overlap between the two and there is some controversy over whether kids with ADHD should be labeled as being somewhere on the spectrum.

Answer by missanc at 1:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• The differences are that they are two totally different disorders. Much to different to go into here with the limited characters.

I suggest doing some research. They are two totally different disorders, but do sometimes go hand in hand..but not always.
    Anonymous

• *OP* My son doesn't strike me as ADHD but he also doesn't strike me as autistic. I am so confused and worried about this eval. I just think I want to know what they are going to say now :0) I would feel better to have a better idea as to what it is with him.
    Anonymous