I texted crap about my MIL to my SIL and...

we were just venting to eachother. We both love the woman (in small doses). But she can get a bit much at times.
Anyway, she snooped through my texts while I was in the shower and read EVERYTHING. Then today she calls my SIL and my SIL tells her "Well Mother you get on peoples nerves sometimes..." and my MIL hung up on her. Now, she hasnt called me. I think bc she knows snooping is wrong...And its the second time shes snooped through my things. And I don't do well with ANYONE touching my stuff.
So. Should I call her? Wait till she calls me?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 12:44 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• i would call her and get this cleared up. i probably would apologize for complaining behind her back instead of coming to her, but i'd also make it abundantly clear that i didn't appreciate being snooped on and expect it not to happen again.

your things and your space are YOUR business, not hers. then maybe just explain why you were saying the things you were. who knows? maybe you'll be able to clear the air. at the very worst, you took the first step, then the ball's in her court.
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 12:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I would personally call her. I would say that it bothers you she snoops through your things. I would tell her you feel disrespected. That will probably lead to a bigger discussion like why you had to vent about her but I think it would be good for you and her to get things off your chest.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Lesson learned! Huh?
    Anonymous

• i love how the shit-stirrers always post anonymously.
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 1:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Your MIL got on your phone and read YOUR PRIVATE messages? That is NOT acceptable and I'd tell her that, too

Answer by admckenzie at 1:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I would act like I didn't know she read them.And wait for her to bring it up.Maybe you should find someone neutral to tell these things to.It could cause problems in your marriage.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I've always known not to write things you dont want known down on paper. I just didnt think that day. And I also assumed she was an adult and knew that snooping is wrong.
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 1:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I say, Let it go with her. Let HER call you - you were being honest and venting and maybe by wrongly snooping she'll get the point of what you and SIL are bothered by and maybe want to change? sometimes we dont' know how irritiating we are being unless someone tells us, and that's hard to do so hopefully it will be a blessing in disquise that she read it... but as with anyhting, its never easy to read gossip about yourself so maybe just give it time with her to sink and and she can call you or you can both talk when she's ready - just be honest when she does try to talk to you
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2009