Does anyone have advice on how to help my four year old learn to wipe better?

Gavin is four and except for a couple of accidents is pretty much potty trained. The problem is he doesn't get or doesn't want to get how to wipe his rear properly. I don't know what to do. if I do it then he doesn't learn. If he does it its a huge mess and he ends up with poop on his underwear. and I mean A LOT of poop. any advice?

pixicutmom

Asked by pixicutmom at 12:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• get flushable wet wipes.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Make sure he understands that he needs to keep wiping until he wipes and the paper is clean. I've taught my kids to fold the paper over, get a new one, etc, and keep wiping until you wipe and there is nothing on the paper. I even keep baby wipes on the back of the toilet for the really messy poops.
    Anonymous

• My son had issues with that as well. The flushable wipes have made it alot easier for him
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 1:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Those all sound like great ideas, thanks!! But can you use those flushable wipes if you have a septic tank?
    pixicutmom

Answer by pixicutmom at 2:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• get cottonelle wipes, your description was my situation until i bought them, they arent cheap but now my 4 yr old locks me out of the bathroom and insists on wiping himself and does it correctly!! thank god! and thank the wonderful person who figured out how to make flushable wipes!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• We have a the same problem with my SD, not to the point of having poop everywhere, but to where she gets rashes from it. We constantly remind her, but she's still pretty bad. We can't use the wipes in our apt building, because they clogged up the septic tank.
    level1fevi

Answer by level1fevi at 10:29 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I am still working on this with my DD and she will be starting preschool soon.
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 15, 2010