Does this annoy you?

I don't know why but I just can't stand it when someone calls me sweetie or hun, it just irrationaly annoys the poop out of me! I take it as an insult, almost a condescending remark. I know for the most part that's not what the person is intending and that's not a common pet peeve, so I don't ever say anything. But, am I alone on this one?

marine_wife0520

Asked by marine_wife0520 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i understand. it feels like people are being fake. its like when somone calls you buddy or pal. its like saying i only want you to think im your friend.....but im not really.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Nope not at all. I couldn't care less.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 12:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I always call people sweetie and hun.
    I kinda do it with out knowing it tho.
    My whole family has always done it LOL.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• ^^^ That's why I feel bad that it annoys me! lol I know people don't mean it the way I take it, but for some reason it just gets under my skin.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• LOL I understand I had a friend in high school that actually pointed it out that I say it all the time LOL.
    He said it bugged him so I TRIED to not say it to him at least.
    Its a hard habit to break LOL
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I say hon to everyone! especially when they are down. It's something I've always done. i don't mean it to be mean or anything
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Sorry, then I am probably one of the people offending you! If it bothers someone I am talking to, I hope they feel comfortable enough to let me know! I would try to stop it, but again its kind of a habit. It has happened before, someone asking me to not do that, and I complied. Its meant to be friendly.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I call my daughters "hun" all the time but that's about it. It's a term of endearment to me/us. But they would never call me "hun." It's just not a word that travels both ways because it is like a motherly thing when I use it.

That's probably why when I made a purchase at a store recently and the 20-ish salesperson called me (age 46) "Hun" it sounded very condescending to me. And based on her tone, I think it was meant to be. Not sure what I did to piss her off but she was snippy.
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 1:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I think the problem was I knew someone who called me sweetie and hun and I knowwww she was just being a fake terd to me and it made me want to punch her in the bleeping face! I know I'm so violent! lol I know she meant it as condescending, argh I hated her so much. And my stepmom used it, too, and well that's a long story. So basically the wrong people called me those names and it just left me HATING it! lol
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I think it's a sweet remark...I wouldn't get offended by it. It makes me feel more comfortable with people, unless the person is clearly a bitch.
    Anonymous