• In the Spotlight:

If you pump your milk and bottle feed ONLY how long does your milk supply last?

Will it last the same as if you were actually having your child latch on to your nipple or will it deplete faster?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I was only pumping cause we had problems latching on and it only lasted about 7 weeks. but if you keep doing it like every 2-3 hours you can prolly go a couple weeks longer.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You usually lose your supply long before you would if your child was nursing. You can pump every 2-3 hours around the clock and take blessed thistle and fenugreek (herbs) to help keep up your supply. It is a lot harder work than nursing your child. A nursing child is far more efficient at getting the milk and stimulating your body to produce more milk. You can do it but it is harder and usually does not last as long if you nurse. Contact the Le Leche League they will have a lot of info for you.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• i pump evry 4 hrs, i dont take anything, i have a great pumping output, alot more tham most woman. i been exclusevely pumping for almost 9 mts. some woman only pump 1-2 oz a pump. pump and i get 4-5oz and on good day i get 6 oz. when my ds was born i could pump 12 oz every 3 hrs. soem moms do they help form herbs to help with thier supply. you wil never know if our one of them until you get to pumping and your milk supply establishes
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I pumped ONLY for 7 months...I couldve kept going but I had to take a new medication so I HAD to stop. Basically in the beginning I pumped EVERY 2 hours around the clock, day and night....at 3 months I switched to every 3 hours around the clock...at 6 months I did every 4 hours around the clock....until I had to stop. But I think when he started sleeping through the night, so did I, and wouldn't pump again til 6am, then 10am, 2pm, 6pm, 10pm then not again until morning.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 1:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Oh and by doing that I had MORE than enough milk...I was even throwing some away!!! If I didn't pump all night....like if I pumped at 10pm and didn't pump again until 6am, I would get over 20 oz of milk!!!! In one pumping!!! But then every 3 hours I would get around 12 oz a pump. You just have to be consistant, I NEVER once supplemented, but made sure to pump around the clock for the first couple months.....I know it's hard, a lot harder then bottle or breastfeeding, because not only do you have to sit and pump for 20 minutes but then you have to feed your baby, even if it's 2am!! Keep at it!! You're doing good!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 1:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My 1st born wouldnt latch on so I pumped. I pumped as often as he would eat (every 2 hours for the first few months and then every 4 hours after that) I pumped for 6 months and never had a noticeable decrease in my milk supply. I stopped just because I was ready to stop. I did not take anything to increase my supply, it did just fine on its own. I would get about 10 oz at each pumping and the amount that i had stored carried him thru to 9 months.

I did have a hospital pump though and I would definitely recommend that if you are considering exclusively pumping
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2009