Are there any Christians that were raised atheist?

How did you tell your parents you do believe in God? Were they mad? I know we hear all the time my kids can pick as they get older but that doesn't settle in with the reality.

If you never told them is it hard for you during family reunions? I hear stuff brought up all the time that is offensive. How do you handle Christmas with so much talk about how God isn't real? Would two types of celebrations be appropriate? One without the extended family?

Like God keep me safe --if so I might almost believe in you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Are there any Christians that were raised atheist?

How did you tell your parents you do believe in God

Anonymous

• i have christian friends raised atheist..at their family Christmas parties, god isn't mentioned at all, before the meals they pray to themselves..nothing really awkward about it.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• i am athiest. my daughter goes to church every weekend. she is allowed to believe anything she wants and she can express her beliefs however she wants. she is only 7 but she has a mind and her choices matter. she also understands that each person has the same rights as she, and can express their religious opinions however they want. it should not be hard for a person to hear the opinions of others. we often make it a debate which is fun because i can see how much she has learned about her religion. all i am saying is you should feel free to stand up and express your opinion too. you shouldnt have to have a seperate celebration from your family because your religious beliefs are different. diversity should be respected regaurdless of personal beliefs.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I have a sister who is Christian. We were raised without religion, it simply wasn't mentioned in our home. If we asked questions as kids we were sent to find the information ourselves, mom would help us find books, but she would not answer questions. When my sister got married she started going to church with her husband & after a few years decided it was the right choice for her. She didn't really come out & say "hey I believe in God & Jesus now," she just would say things like "well we can come on a picnic with you on Sunday, church lets out around noon" & "my daughter made this cute thing in Sunday School last week" etc. It just came up in casual conversation because we talk about our lives. Nobody had a problem with it & if her family wants to say a prayer before a group meal we silently wait for her to finish before we start eating. There is no awkwardness for us.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• On occasion we discuss beliefs (we have a wide array in my fam) & everyone is respectful & discusses things philosophically not personally, so that is no problem either.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2009