Do You Consider Yourself Superior to the Person Who Provides Your Customer Service?

So many people treat the person who rings up their groceries or other items badly. There are people who are having a bad day and take it out on the clerk. There are people who yell at the clerk because the store is out of a sales item, people who talk on the cell phone and ignore the clerk or people who refuse to answer when the clerk asks how they are. Are you one of them? If so why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I am not like that at all but I can assure that the people that act as if they were the kings of the world are just unhappy people who don't even realize they are being too hard to somebody that in some cases doesn't even have control on the outcome of a business. These type of people are selfish and/or have so much stress in their lives, that carry their frustration every where they go. Also, I am sure they are just like that at home. They are so demanding and don't know that the more demanding, mean and disrespectful they are, the more bad service, more mistakes will be done on their orders, the longer the wait time for them and the worse customer service will be in place. The sad of it is that their attitude is part of their personality as being nice, considerate and loving is part of the personality for the rest of us. God Bless this world with all its creatures. I we all acted the same way, this world would be boring.

CACHARRA

Answer by CACHARRA at 5:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Oh gosh not at all I have great appreciation for the people who do those kind of jobs! I will say that "power people" like the DMV or the tax people who push US around do drive me nutty!! I also am in sales and I know how hard it is to wear a smile when people are RUDE!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Actually No i feel as though we need them and should be greatful for what they are doing for us.
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 1:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• no i am not. i work at a fast food place.. so i know what your saying when people get up their and their on the phone and then their telling me or the person on the phone hold on.. hold on.. let me finish talking then i'll order.. well if so step away from the damn counter~!!!!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I see a lot of this, and I often wonder what kind of sour existence these people live. They are worthy of my respect as much as the next guy.

Answer by older at 1:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• hell no. i remember being like six years old and never realized that the person behind the counter at mcdonalds was just another person untill my mom started working there. my grandma took me and my sisters to lunch while mom was working and thats when i realized....wow thier just people. weird i know but kids have odd little minds.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• No, I am always friendly to everyone. However, I do expect the customer service person to be at least civil to me as the customer, and if they aren't, I can get a little testy. As long as they're reasonably nice, I go out of my way to be an "easy" customer.
    Anonymous

• Having worked in customer service all my working life, I am absolutely NOT superior to anybody who works in that field.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Only when they are a idiot.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 2:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• No, I've been in their shoes.

Before leaving I always thank my clerk, sometimes I offer to help bag if it's not a self-service (bag yourself) store, and I always have my children if they're with me thank our clerk as we leave. Whenever we leave a hotel I seek (and have been known to search until I've found them) our maid out and not only tip them but also thank them personally. When we are out to eat we thank our server when food is placed in front of us, and when service through our meal is good, which is most of the time, we thank them before we leave and leave a good tip. It's not easy working any servicing job, and there are people that under-appreciate all that is done for them, but our family is not one of them.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 3:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2009