How does a diaper service work?

In efforts to be less wasteful I am considering a diaper service for my next child. I haven't used one for my first because I thought it was gross. Maybe someone can clarify for me. Maybe I have the wrong idea. Do you put the soiled diapers in a bag until they are picked up? I really have no idea. Thanks for you help in advance.

Jguevara

Asked by Jguevara at 1:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Diaper services work by providing diapers, usually prefolds or flats, to you weekly. YOu put the soiled diapers in their bag for that week, and they deliver a fresh load the next week. They charge you a flat rate.

If you're considering a diaper service, you might consider just cloth diapering and washing them yourself. Diaper services are very expensive, usually at least $20/week (what you would spend on disposables anyway). It doesn't really take that much more effort, and diapers are pretty easy to care for. You just toss them in the diaper pail and wash them when you're almost out. No need to soak or dunk or anything nasty.

The worst part is when babies start on solids and their poop is too viscous to just wash in the washer and not solid enough to shake off. YOu just grab some toilet paper and scrape it off the diaper. It sounds grosser than it is, and once you're a mom poop doesn't bother you anyway lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Yes you are right on the money, we had a container that you stuck the diapers in after use, and the magic diaper man came and picked them up, it was really okay and pretty cool, I think it cost a bit more than disposable, but I really liked it. One thing is to make sure you know what kind of detergents they use, the first service caused my son to have a bit of a rash, I found one that laundered twice, once to get the ickies out and then once in mild soap that removed any bleach or residue! Good luck MOM!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Ati 13, can you tell me where I buy clothe diapers? Do they sell them like at Babies R' US? Sorry I have no idea. I know it sounds like a dumb question.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 1:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• They pick up the dirties and bring back clean ones. We used cloth, though we did not have a service. We kept a bucket with water/vinegar and baking soda. Sometimes it was pretty gross, but most of the diapers were free (hand-me-downs) and we weren't constantly throwing money away on disposables.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Oh yeah, and are the cloth diapers held together by safety pins like in the old days?
    Jguevara

• Check out a cloth diapering group on here. There are MANY options and many more places to buy them... BRU just sells cheap prefolds, you really need to buy online to get decent stuff.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You can buy the diapers at Babies our US, but my experience was not as good as anons with the laundering,,,,,it was worth the money for the time it saved me!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My aunt had a diaper service and she rinsed the poopy ones in the toilet and kept a bin (like a trash can with a lid) next to the toilet to drop them in until pick up day. It seems like you might as well wash them your self at that point, but whatever.
    Anonymous

• No. If you want to use prefolds you can use snappis, or just lay the prefold in the cover... or, there are many options outside of prefold that close with snaps or touch tape (velcro).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I don't know about services since there are none in our area, but there are many different types of diapers out there. Fitteds that are pretty much like a disposable in shape and they close with snaps of velcro and then get a cover over them, all in ones that are just that cover and diaper all in one and prefolds with pins or snappis are the main types available. Join a cloth diaper group on here or check out www.diaperswappers.com Babies r us and Walmart both sell prefolds, but they are not very high quality. You want a chinese prefold or equivalent quality.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2009