• In the Spotlight:

My 2 year old was outside playing by himself when he was suppose to be asleep.

My two year old snuck out of house way before the other people in the house were up. He went out the sliding glass door. I am curently buying a lock for that . but does anyone have any suggestions on ways to keep him in. I watch my child but I cant 24 hours I have to sleep also. thankfully the neighbor saw him and knocked,, I was scared to death.

asmith113

Asked by asmith113 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow! You are very lucky he's ok! Get locks that he can't reach & your baby monitor on at all times.
    Anonymous

• Not much you can do but locks and reinforce the concept of telling you when he goes somewhere. My daughter is bad about it too. But she doesn't like to go outside by herself so she'll come in and out when I'm inside and daddy is outside. First time she did it Daddy freaked. So now we're working on TELL US if you go outside and make sure both parents know. Sometimes she does. It's a slow process.
    Anonymous

• Put locks on everything! And keep about baby monitor on..He can open a door knob at two? If not make sure his bed room door his shut.
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Wow, that is scarey!!! Make sure you get a lock ASAP!!! That's really the only way, I mean sure you could talk to him and tell him no, but he's 2. Buy a lock. Now.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 1:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• What happened is a good reason to get the safety door knob cover. Glad he is OK.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• When you lay him down at night do you shut his door? My sister used to have this toy, it was an alarm you put around the doorknob and when someone touched the knob from the outside or the inside this super loud noise would come from the toy. I remember she got it at walmart I dont know if they still have that particular one but im sure you can find one similar. Or maybe put something motion sensitive by his door so if he walks out it will go off and wake you up?
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 1:43 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Locks are the only thing you can really do. They have door alarms that go off when a door opens, but I don't think they work on sliding doors. When I had a sliding glass door I had a keyed lock on the bottom of it and kept the key on a hook inside a kitchen cabinet that had a child proof lock on it.

Answer by missanc at 1:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Good suggestion firethearson.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It may be easier to attach a bell to his door if you can. Probably not as loud though.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 1:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• been there, I know its sooo scary!
    a lock up high, and one of those door alarms that sounds when you open the door are good ideas.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2009