My 4 yr old minds everyone but me and he knows it.how can I make him listen to me to?

My little boy is extreamly smart and he knows it and I think that is some of the problem. He will mind his daddy but he knows how to play me and I don't know what to do. Please help me.

skysmom2005

Asked by skysmom2005 at 1:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe you need to be clear what the consequences for disobedience will be. Then if he disobey's follow through.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 2:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Learn his game.

Consequences are a must, & you must follow through. Smart kids tend to learn their mothers weakness & use it against them.

What i finally did w/ my brilliant step son, is i would take favorite toys away. Like BIG toys, things he cannot live without (or so it may seem) and i would put it on top of the fridge where he could see it, but not reach it. He would fall on the floor & cry & act as if he was being murdered, but i would not pay him any attention, because that was what he was looking for. After a few painful days without favorite toys, is when he realized that i was serious. I WON!!! Woo Hooo! But, every child is different. I would feel sorry for him when he got so upset & i would remind myself that it's really not a big deal & he is making it bigger in order to get what he wants. I stopped letting him manipulate me.

anyhow, he knows your weakness, learn to play the game :)
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Thank you for your help. I know that it what I need to do but I guess it helps to hear from someone eles nesides my mother even though I know that moms know best. I just have to stop always threatning and follow through the first time.
    skysmom2005

Answer by skysmom2005 at 6:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2009