How do you explain to two 5 year olds & a 7 year old that Christmas won't be the same!

Ok - I have worked at my job for 12 years and have always gotten a Christmas bonus. The last 5 years it has been $1000.00 This is what we have always bought Christmas presents with b/c we don't have any extra money. Well b/c of the economy I don't think we are getting a Christmas bonus. I have only been able all year to save $200.00 So they will be lucky to get one thing a piece and it probably won't even be what's on their list b/c they are wanting Nintendo DS & Ipod and things like that. How can I explain to them that Christmas is going to be very bare and we can't help it. They still believe in Santa too so that makes it even harder. Does anyone have any ideas for me. Thanks.

momwifelove

Asked by momwifelove at 2:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Holidays

• Maybe tell them that Santa didn't get his special Christmas check and so Christmas will be more about family this year?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 2:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Tell them that this Christmas you are going to start some new traditions like more quality family time and use your money to buy things that you can do together like games and crafts. They are young so this kind stuff is just as fun. Try not to emphasize that Christmas is going to be rough or hard. Kids love doing stuff that includes time with you, buy new sleds and then vow to go sledding every weekend you can,
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 2:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Maybe now is the time to teach your kids that Christmas is about the birth of Jesus, not getting stuff.
    Anonymous

• Maybe buy used? alot of video game places buy and sell used games and systems. Theyre usually nice too or they couldnt resell them....Or instead of an ipod buy another mp3 player thats cheaper but still nice?
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 2:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Depending on their age you could use something like Santa Claus got sick and can't give out presents this year. If their older you could just be honest with them. They might not like it but they will appreciate you telling them the truth. Just try to put it simply so they don't worry. Good luck!
    sclj116310

Answer by sclj116310 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Thanks everyone for your answers. I have been looking at some of the MP3 players and my husband and I decided that's what she would get b/c there was no way we could afford an ipod. I know they will understand b/c they are very understandable a lot of times but I just feel bad when they go to school and everyone says what did you get and they don't have but one thing they got.

To Anonymous:

My kids know what Christmas is about and they know that it is when Jesus was born but they are kids and want presents just like everyone else!
    momwifelove

Answer by momwifelove at 2:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• go to toys for tots, salvation army, churches in your area, and try to get on the angel tree.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 2:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Ibelongtojesus:

I don't think we should do that b/c I know there are a lot of other people who won't even get one thing so they will need it way more than we do. Thanks though!
    momwifelove

Answer by momwifelove at 2:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I told my kids that because a lot of mommy's and daddy's are out of work right now, and don't have a lot of money for food or clothes for their kids, that Santa and his elves are spending a little more time and money from their toy account, giving food and clothes to those kids, because they really need it. It's not because he loves any of the other kids any less, or because they were being bad.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 2:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I wish I had advice, I am in a similar boat. Good luck, I know its rough.
    Incase it helps, the DS is going to be $98 on black friday at Walmart, and games will be $7.
    good luck!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2009