Skinny kids

My son is four and he has always been skinny. he has LONG limbs and is very tall for his age but it worries me that he is SO skinny. I can see his ribs and spine. his doctor says he's not mal nutritioned and that he is normal. is it ok for him to be THAT boney? is it normal?

pixicutmom

Asked by pixicutmom at 2:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My oldest daughter is the skinniest kid I have ever seen. She's 9, 4 feet tall and weighs a whopping 45lbs. She's the weight of the average 4-5 year old and about as tall as most 5-6 year olds. She's always been small. When she was 3 she weighed about 26lbs. When she started kindergarten at 5 she was 32lbs. That's what my 3yo daughter weighs. In fact my 3yo wears clothes my oldest wore in kindergarten and 1st grade.
    She's just now starting to put a little fat on (I'm sure she's starting to hit the first stages of puberty). Up until a year ago you could see every single bone on her...she had almost no fat and was considered underweight by the charts and her BMI. But her doctors say she is healthy. She's the smallest kid in the 4th grade and can't even lift her bag most days (she has to have someone help her carry it because it weighs as much as she does). She's just always going to be small.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• my son looks skinny like that but his weight is average..... his height is just really much taller. the dr. said it's ok too. he eats alot though. he'll just grow up to be slim and athletic probably
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Yes it is normal. As long as he is getting the nutrition he needs there is no need to worry. I have always been skinny and my 14 month old is to. he has no baby fat at all!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My husband's little sister is 15, and she's like that. She was a really chubby baby, so it's weird to see her baby pictures, especially since so skinny now, lol! Some kids are just naturally thin, just like some kids are naturally a little chunky. You could try giving him some more protein and whole grains, that might put a little meat on his bones.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My daughter is a waif too. She got it from her fathers side. LONG LEAN arms & legs. It's genetics honey! People tell me that my daughter looks too thin, & i tell them "well i cannot feed her anymore than she already eats" Seriously, my daughter eats like a little piggie. Our kids have whats called the "skinny gene"....most people would DIE to have the skinny gene. Your son will most likely never be over weight no mater what he eats. This is what her Dr. (my dad) told me about my daughter. She is perfectly healthy & if anyone suggests otherwise to me & i get pretty annoyed about it. I know she is healthy, she eats like a horse...what else can it do? Not much...

she just has the skinny gene...she could be a model one day though, she is gorgeous.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I was, and so was my cousin. Even in college (before the beer belly kicked in!) you could still see his ribs. He's healthy
    Anonymous

• if you can see where it comes from in the genetics and those people are healthy adults, i wouldnt worry, that is my situation with my son and dh, skinny and can eat ANYTHING in any amount w/o gaining a pound... that is fun to live with!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My son was bony from 1 yr old until 12 years old. As long as he is eating, growing and the doctor isn't worried, then don't worry about it. He will bulk up soon enough. Some kids are just skinny.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My middle boy is very thin....he's 41 inches tall and barely 35lbs. (he's almost 4)

He's very bony...you can count his ribs, his shoulder blades stick out and he has sticks for limbs.

He's also been diagnosed with low motor tone. The developmental pediatrician said that more than likely (in his case) he's always going to look like that.
    Anonymous

• my 4 yr old has always been really tall and on the thin side. my doctor said that as long as he stays on the same growth chart it is completely normal. he is not a picky eater (which is the first thing im always asked) and he eats healthy and all the time. i guess some kids gain weight all the time and some kids "stair step" which means they will go a while without gaining weight and then all of a sudden they'll gain 3-4 pounds
    wtigers83

Answer by wtigers83 at 8:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2009