Having a toddler already did it make your second pregnancy more difficult? Not having two but raising a toddler and being pregnant.

I had an amazing first pregnancy I think I was the happiest I have ever been. But, now I have a 14 month old and am a little afraid that it won't be as easy and I wont be as happy. Before I could rest when ever I wanted. Was it or is it harder for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, its harder, of course. 1st pregnancy is spent pampering yourself, reading pregnancy books, relaxing, taking naps, being doted on... 2nd pregnancy, no one cares and you are chasing, feeding, diapering, bathing, etc. etc. etc. a toddler. There is no rest, its not easy....BUT its still easier than when the 2nd baby arrives, lol, that's when the real fun begins.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Oh lord, not to discourage you but let me be the first to clue you in:

YOU HAVE NO IDEA! lol - enough said?

I wouldn't change a thing if I had to do it over but mine are 22 months apart and are a teen and tween now and let me just say, your suspicions are correct mama!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Yes it was def. harder for me. My dd was about to turn 10, and my ds turned 4 two mo. b-4 I had my 3rd baby, and even though they were both a bit older it was much diff. I couldn't get as much rest, and I was more sick w/ my 3rd than my other 2 combined. I am thankful that my kids are spaced apart quite a bit. I can't imagine having 2 or 3 kids really close in age!! Don't know if I have that much patience. lol.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 2:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I have a 13 month and I'm 36 weeks preg. It has been harder this time, not much rest and I'm wore out and hurt more. I'm worried about after the new baby's here too, b/c the older yet still young one still needs lots of attention and help with things, it's gonna be harder this go round but worth it.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I think it depends on the pregnancy. I have an 18 month old and I'm 32 wks. This pregnancy has been A W F U L! (ie morning sickness so severe I lost 20lb.) I'm stilllll dealing with nausea and exhaustion and it's physically much harder of a pregnancy this time which my MW said is normal for subsequent pregnancies. It sucks. Good Luck mama!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I am going though it right now! I have an 18 month old and i am 11 weeks prego! It is harder! I was the same way with my first it made me a better person, this pregnancy i am so moody, tired, sick, achey, you name it i have it :( and to chase a toddler around. I am lucky because my DD is a very good child and if i am in dire need of rest she will lay on the couch with me most times or play by herself. so yes if you have a bad pregnancy which most people i talk to their 2nd is pretty bad :( it will be tough, but you can do it! Good luck!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 3:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My first pregnancy was really hard for me. My second was a breeze in comparison. Yes having a 2.5 year old made it harder to rest. But I took naps as often as I could and my husband was a great help.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Im going through it right now also. Im 35 weeks today and i have a 2 year old. Honestly, its a breeze really. I have had no problems what so ever. I wake up in the morning eat breakfast with my 2 year old. Let him watch some cartoons while i get some needed cleaning done while checking on him of course. Hes pretty good and keeps himself pretty busy. At 11am we do snack time and a bath. Sometimes he will take a shower with me or ill give him a bubble bath. By that time im making him lunch. He eats at 12 or 1230. After he eats i will either let him stay up till 1 or put him down for a nap because his favorite cartoon comes on at 1230 so depending on how much house work i need to get done or how tired he is depends on when nap time will be. He sleeps a good 3 to 4 hours while i either clean or take a nap myself. He wakes up about 4 sometimes later like today he is still sleeping. It all depends hun.. easy for me.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It is more tiring, especially is you are a busy person or on the go alot like I am. I am 37 weeks right now and my son is 21 months. He has to have all my attention all of the time and has to be where I am at doing what I am doing, he won't go play with his toys unless I go play with him. My son is showing some signs of turn 2 soon. I am definitely grumier with my husband the second time around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• My daughter is 3 and I'm pregnant. Not exactly a toddler, but it's been difficult. She's old enough to realize another baby means her life and my attention to her will be altered, and she's upset about it. Plus, I can't rest when I want, and I'm always running after her. I'm tired all the time and need to deal with her insecurities over the new baby. Plus, trying to explain to her I cannot do certain things (like get on the floor to play with her) is heartbreaking.

The good news is - Because I'm so active all the time, my weight gain has been minimal. At 37 weeks I've only gained about 6 lbs! With my first child I gained 40!
    Imogen13

Answer by Imogen13 at 8:29 AM on Nov. 21, 2009