The question of magic

The Harry Potter question yesterday got me thinking. I figure there are two camps on the issue of magic; those who believe it is possible ("real") & those who believe it is not. Those camps breakdown into groups when faced with the issue of magic in popular culture. Those who believe it is possible & love seeing it portrayed in a fun, fanciful way. Those who believe it is possible & hate seeing it portrayed in such an unrealistic way. Those who believe it is real but comes from a source of evil (usually "the devil") & think it is dangerous to have it portrayed as real. Those who believe it is not possible & enjoy the imaginary fun. Those who think it is not possible & it is undesirable to portray it as if it were real. Of course one might also be "agnostic" on the issue & say who knows if it is possible.
Which camp are you in (or in one that I didn't think of) & how do you feel about the other camps?

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 3:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Personally I am in the “those who believe it is possible & love seeing it portrayed in a fun, fanciful way” camp. I respect everyone’s right to their own opinion & to make choices for their children based on those opinions. I do, of course, have an opinion on those opinions. I think that the “those who believe it is possible & hate seeing it portrayed in such an unrealistic way” are feeling the pressure of being taken seriously by society & letting it make them a little uptight. I think that the “those who believe it is real but comes from a source of evil (usually "the devil") & think it is dangerous to have it portrayed as real” are mistaken. Obviously, I also believe that those who think it is not real are mistaken. And I think that "those who don’t believe & find it undesirable" need to embrace the important role imagination & fantasy play in our society.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• im a magic agnostic...after seeing some of the things David Blane can do (like the ashes on his stomach trick) its hard to say its not possible, but i cant say its real either.

i dont think it harmful in any way when its used in movies, books, etc. i can only imagine going thru life w/o an imagination (haha) & would never keep my children from developing their own. i do think it can be harmful if someone becomes deluded by magic & does something dangerous (ie thinks they can fly).

so im "agnostic, but harmless" when it comes to magic.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Well you asked !!! You might not like the answer but its honest lol

Islam believes in the possibilty of magic but it is prohibited, and it is regarded as one of the serious sins.

So I am the mind that it is dangerous to portray something harnful in the popular culture as a bit of light entertainment. It does affect the mind of children. my neices are potty for Potter I have seen how its affected them, To be honest,, I think to be as crazy about something as that isnt good anyway. Its like some Star war fans , you know there comes a point when "fanism" is just too much, or "cat people" who when you enter their house , everything is cats everywhere you look . --- obession is not healthy , and in this case I believe dangerous in making them believe its all a bit of good fun and everything turns out fine in the long run. !!!
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 3:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Answered at 3:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 by: zanzeebeel
    Well you asked !!! You might not like the answer but its honest lol

Lol. I did ask :) Obviously I don't agree with you but your answer is well thought out & backed up by your beliefs. That is to be respected.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I know that it is possible, but to portray magic as instantaneous wand-waving (your second choice) bothers me, because people who don't know about witchcraft will get the wrong idea about it. I love Harry Potter books and movies, but because of the story. Not because the magic in it is in any way realistic.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 3:30 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I'm a witch and I LOVE Harry Potter - nuff said right? lol!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Dont care about the other camps, Ill say that right now LOL.

Im in the "I believe in magick but not in the same sense as is being showed in movies/tv/etc. However, I think its fun and cool to watch and would be excellent if was as shown" camp.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• OK,

There's a difference between "magic" and "Magick".

"Magic" (no "k") is the stuff of Harry Potter and David Copperfield. The hocus pocus fake stuff that we find so entertaining. It's the workings of Hollywood and illusionists.

"Magick" (with a "k") is akin to prayer. It's using our power, the powers of the Universe, and the powers of Deity to try to effect the world around us. It is the stuff of Witches and Witchcraft.

BTW, I'm a Witch who loves shows like "Charmed" and "Bewitched" but also get's irritated that I can't just wiggle MY nose and the room is clean.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Agnostic. But I love the imaginary fun.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:24 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• What about thinking it is real, from the devil and dangerous in being portrayed as fun?
    Anonymous