nasty cough..

my dd has a real nasty sounding cough, along with the snotty nose...no fever or anything...i think it's just sinuses from the weather and how cold its gotten, literally overnight...should i call the doc for a second opinion? she has an appt on the 3 of dec..but im not that worried about it bc i got a runny nose and a cough the same time she did, but my cough cleared up...the swine flu epidemic has me paranoid..lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you feel you can wait, do so. Sometime these things clear themselves up in a day or so. Keep an eye on her to make sure it doesn't get worse or that her cough changes in any way. And keep checking to make sure she doesn't develop a fever. Also, if it starts to keep her awake at night, that might be a sign the doc needs to see her and also if it persists more than a few days it's better to give her doc a call and find out what you should do. Hope she feels better,
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• steamy shower and vapor rub... with all thats going around right now, the last thing on my mind would be to take my child to the ped... were all the sick children are being taken too.... and if she gets the flu... then there still isn't anything a ped can do other then tell you to keep her hydrated, steam showers, and elevated... then send you home. Most complications (90%) with any form of flu are not caused by the flu virus itself, but a secondary bactirial infection, usually of the lungs. The germs at home your daughter already has a built up antibodies against, so the best you can do is not expose her to things that she does't have antibodies for.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:24 PM on Nov. 20, 2009