a pretty akward question about piercings and breastfeeding...

ok so i know its a pretty stupid question for most people and i feel weird asking my doctor(s). i'm 22 weeks pregnant. um i had my nipples pierced the moment i turned 18. when i turned 20...haha i decided to stretch them from a 14gauge to an 8 in one night...needless to say i like some pain...um well now being 23 and the moment i found out i was prego, took them out... has anyone had a hard time breastfeeding after these kind of piercings or have any helpful advise besides the obvious "talk to your doctor" ? like i said, i dont like talking to doctors about this kind of thing. i want to hear someone who has had some personal experience awith this subject or knows someone who went through this.

1sttimema_808

Asked by 1sttimema_808 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• OHH never had them streched, no problem here, but IDK depending on how big the hole now is--call the place where you got them done, surely they know, someone else has had to have had this issue, like I said by the time DS was born mine had closed up on their own!
    Anonymous

• lol, the milk will go in different directions, because it will go through the piercing holes, even if they are closed up! I had mine done when I was 19, and when I got pregnant I took them out (I was 22 when I got preggo) And the milk shoot in different directions until I got used to positioning the babies (twins) in different ways so milk didn't go everywhere!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• thanks fallnangel93... kinda funny, i'm having twins also..hehe...great fun....lovely stretchmarks!
    1sttimema_808

Answer by 1sttimema_808 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Mine aren't done but plenty of my friends have theirs done and breast fed. It really is unique for everyone. It depends on where your piercings hit your milk ducts, how your body naturally forms scar tissue, how you heel, how big or small your nipples were to begin with... so many things.

Worst case scenario, you can pump. Breasts are a perfect feeding system and your baby will be instinctually perfect at sucking things from a nipple. If you have any trouble, talk with the lactation specialist at your doc/ midwife's office. Pierced and inked mommas are all over the place. They deal with us on a regular basis and have seen it all.

fallnangel... lol! Maybe they liked the increased flow? too awesome. congrats on your twins.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I looked it up on my fav breastfeeding website kellymom.com. Here is what it said....

There is no evidence that nipple piercing (or other body piercing) affects breastfeeding. . For more information, see http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/bfhelp-mother.html#piercednipple

don't ask a doc, they wouldn't be able to help you with breastfeeding questions. Look things up on the kellymom site, talk to a laction consultant, or go to an LLL meeting. Here is the LLL group on cafemom http://www.cafemom.com/group/lllcafemom
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2009