Has anyone ever had a toddler who obsessively and sometimes violently rocked?

My daughter is 13mo old and she rocks constantly. She hits her head on things as well. This is an all day and sometimes all night thing. It started a few weeks ago and we are realizing its more than just a phase. For three nights she rocked almost all night long in her crib asleep. I have an appt tomorrow with a neurologist, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar situation and what it was.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How is her speech, does she look you in the eyes? What about toys, how does she play with them.

To me it sounds like autistic characteristics showing up.

My dd is mildly autistic...its not the end of the world, just a different way of looking at things ;)
    Anonymous

• I am glad you have an appointment with the doc, rocking is a symptom of autism, dear nephew started at about 15 months old,,, now that does NOT mean that what it is, so please don't panic, and the earlier the intervention the better, I will say my prayers for you and your little one momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My kids have never done that but I have a freind whos son did that and he has autism. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• My DD recently started hitting herself in the head. She does not have any of the other symptoms of autism and I believe it is just a phase. I'm glad you are going to get it checked out even if it is just for piece of mind. Good luck
    Anonymous