How to make a 5 months baby to drink water ?

My baby is 5 months old and she have a dry cough at the beginning and now a cough with plenty phlegm. Someone suggest me to feed her water to keep her hydrate. I tried give her water using bottle and spoon but she hate it.

indahkd

Asked by indahkd at 3:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 5 months old your baby should be breast or formula only. Sorry.
    Anonymous

• No need. She's being hydrated by the formula or breast milk. (assuming she is eating normally)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• you can add some glucose in the water for her . that is how i do for my baby start at 2 months. babies needs water.
    Yuki85

Answer by Yuki85 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Babies do NOT need water, doctors don't even recommened water for babies any more. As others have posted the formula or breastmilk is all the need. If the baby is throwing up a lot you could use some pedialyte.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• i wouldnt say the baby needs water for that but doctors do recommend water for babies for certain things..my son is just under 2 months and strains to use the bathroom because of his formula ( in the process of changing the formula but he hates the new one anyways ) my doctor recommended me to use 2oz of water with maybe a cap full of apple juice
    Anonymous

• i've always had doctors tell me that water is ok for babies but they don't actually need it until they are older. formula or breast milk should provide enough for hydration. when my daughter is sick and has a scratchy throat she will actually drink more bottles.if she is really phlemmy though i might call the doc and see what he/she recommends
    wtigers83

Answer by wtigers83 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2009