Why do you think gender roles have changed to where it is normal for women to work but not for men to help out with the kids and home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• B/c more men don't give a crap these days...Mine's one of them.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Hey I would love that.
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately yes, for many men. My husband is not like that and neither will my kids be like that. Stupid women's lib.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I'm the :21 anon and apparently I'm an idiot.. I didn't read the question correctly. LOL I would HATE that. LOL
    Anonymous

• I think I definitely know the answer! Well maybe, stereotypically anyway because stereotypically men dont do the home stuff. Men are the bread winners. Men like making paychecks. Does a man get paid when he changes a diaper? Nope. Motivation lost. Lets the wife do it. Sad, even though it was his "willie" that had half the responsibility in making that child.

Women are multitaskers and probably have a more nurturing relationship to the child because we carry the baby.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Because women wanted to go out and work and do it all and men were just happy the way things were. They don't want to do housework they want to earn the money and be taken care of
    Anonymous

• well idk, i am 29, grew up w/ a working mom and sah dad. my dh knew i completely expect him to do half the housework and that i wouldnt want to stay at home. he does maybe 30% of housework and 100% of work in the yard, which is fine with me. because i hate yard work and he loves to do that. and he does the stuff that never gets done by me around the house. like washing all of the walls, that was last weekends project, i gave him a mr clean eraser and he went for almost and hour! i think a lot of men hold onto the whole - men dont cook and clean because they are allowed to. honestly if a spouce works and one stays at home, whoever stays at home should do all teh housework.. imo... if we could afford it, he would stay at home. so, in my household, no the op's ?? is not true, but i do have neighbors that think that way. i would never marry a man who did.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Cause unfortunately, the idea of women's rights got misinterpreted to "like men." Our society still has VERY different ideas on men and women. Women can work but pay still isn't quite equal and our social standards are different. So on that road to "equality", we raised the expectations of women instead of combining the family roles. Many women feel that SAHMs aren't doing anything w/ their lives and especially if they don't have young children to care for. Yet we don't say retired men are doing nothing. We all recognize the problem with more fathers not being around but we have SUCH a bad view of uninvolved mothers. Some believe that a man needs to come home to warm food and a break. But if a woman isn't cooking, cleaning, caring for her children directly, or making money, she's being lazy. Women gained higher social status but I guess we got more than we bargained for and forgot to change men's roles along the way.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Because women of previous generations fought for that right. Men aren't usually fighting to have the same say at home. If they had, then it wouldn't be a struggle.

Then again, if those same women had just stayed home to begin with, the fact that men didn't help out at home wouldn't be an issue.
    Anonymous

• I don't let that fly in my home. My fiance helps clean and take care of my son. Bills need paid so we both work and we both clean. Depends on the man because mine does his part.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2009