Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I am due to go back to work on 11/30.. Asked to go back part time and was denied, asked to go back full time with more money to pay for childcare and was denied.. Can I collect unemployment anyway?

Answer Question

Asked by ReenKenney at 3:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • I doubt it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • Depends on why you weren't working in the first place. If you had a medical reason and the doctor has released you then they have to give you the same amount of hours you had before. If you have only been released to work part time they have to give you light duty. If you just left for non medical reasons, no you can't collect unemployment.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • NO sorry, you can't--but depending on your salary you might qualify for help with daycare! Good luck!

    Answer by kimigogo at 3:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • don't think so. they are offering full time work...

    Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • Nope

    Answer by rkoloms at 3:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • Like the pp said- If it is for a medical reason and the doctor has said you can return to light work part time and your work denies you that, then you have a good case. If it is not a medical reason, but more of you just wanting to stay home with your child a little bit longer, then no, you will not be able too. Collecting unemployment after quitting a job, is almost impossible to do, unless you have a really good reason why you quit. For example, my friend just quit her job, working at a jail. She was severally beat up by one of the inmates (and this girl can whoop some a$$ too). After her boss did nothing about it, such as file additional charges on the inmate, and refused to allow her to leave that night to get medical care, she quit. She explained the situation to Department of Labor, and after she submitted the police reports and medical reports, they found her reason to quit, justifiable. Cont..


    Answer by JeremysMom at 3:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • Cont.. If you think you have a justifiable case, then by all means head over the the DOL and file for unemployment. However, if you want to just be able to stay home for a bit longer, then take how much it would cost you for daycare, lunches, work clothes, gas, wear and tear on your vehicle, etc and see if the cost of working is really worth it. Maybe cut down on the premium tv package and go with the basic, eat at home more, cut out some of your entertainment by staying home and renting a movie, etc. Good luck in whatever you decide!


    Answer by JeremysMom at 4:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • Nope. You would be quitting and not for a good reason.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • Not if they offered you work and you refused it

    Answer by admckenzie at 8:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

  • To a degree it may depend on how they offered you work. If they were offering you exactly what you left or it's equivalent then you're up the proverbial creek. However if they were making things difficult for you and/or recommended you pursue alternative employment or some such thing then that is discrimination and that any lawyer and the DOL will be happy to assist you with your options.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in
What does everyone think

Next question overall (Home & Garden)
Are my clothes ruined?!