Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can I do or say to keep my son's doctor unbias?

My son had a test done that confirms that he has A.D.H.D. and P.D.D..

I have been trying for 2 yrs to get help for my child & the father and myself to be able to help our son. Neither of the doctor's would remain unbias, nor did they keep treating my son. They gave up on him, allowed the father to deter them from our son's problems. My son's father is very manipulating, he speaks with that low tone and B.S.'s the doctor's to believing our son is a liar, trouble maker and that he doesn't need medication because he is a momma's boy; our son just needs to be shown that he can't have it his way. These doctor's are listening. What can I do?

How can I stop this from happening? There's so much going on..the anxiety my son is having from his father, the step-mother & step-sister. The father says our son is aggrivating & basically, the step-daughter is pefect. Whatever our son says about his wife is also a lie. HELP!!!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (5)
  • Get a new Dr.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • Get a new doctor immediately and take your ex-husband to court for neglecting your son's well been. He is entitled to have his own opinions but if you have a diagnosis and you know in your heart that they are accurate, get courts involved and defend your child from his dad. Your child needs help not judgment and some understanding that he is struggling. Focus not on what is or isn't but how do you help him to get better. Nobody knows your son better than you. so if you know he needs help, figure out how to help him.

    Answer by bebita at 3:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • Try a counselor. The problem sounds bigger then just needed medications. The counselor could work with you on the behavior problems as well as recommend a doctor for the medications. And maybe help you with the exes. Good luck.


    Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • I would also suggest trying a counselor. Right now, my son is seeing the school counselor once a week and hopefully, he will be seeing a psychologist in a few weeks for play therapy. I learned really quickly that while medication my help, it should NOT be the only source of treatment that an ADHD child has. I recently came upon some great resources. One is and the other is These have both helped me tremendously. Good Luck!


    Answer by JeremysMom at 4:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • You cannot change someone elses biases. You just need to find another doctor that understands your child's needs. A child psychiatrist or psychologist would be a good idea to help treat your child. They are better equipped to handle emotional and mental health issues.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.