Pregnancy Weight Gain

I have only gained about a pound since I became pregnant and I'm 24 weeks today. I am with a group of midwives, and they have expressed different opinions on it. One is really concerned, the other not so much. I have another appointment at the end of the month, but what are your thoughts? Should I be worried? This is my second child. I gained 40 lbs with my first. FYI.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Were you overweight to start out? If so then it's probably fine.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Just gain naturally what your body wants you to do, eat normal or healthier but I'd listen to my body and do what it needs for the baby.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• If you are healthy and eating right you should be ok. With my first I gained 7lbs, second lost 11, third lost 7 and with my fourth I gained 14. I saw midwives for all 4 pregnancies and they never realy had an issue with my losing weight on not gaining much. Though I did have a little to spare. My friend saw the mid wives as well and when she waasn't gaining they just said to try and eat a litle better, she was pretty small and her daughters are 17 months apart abd she had a physically demanding job when she was pregnant with her second.
    Anonymous

• Hi, OP here. Well, I do chase around a 1 year-old boy all day, plus I keep up with the laundry and housework as best I can. I was not overweight, I'd say about average. I'm 5 ft. 7in. and started this pregnancy at 147lbs. I have been sick a lot this pregnancy too. Morning sickness lasted a long time for me, and I have had 3 kinds of flu this season which all made me lose some weight. I guess I was pretty active when I was pregnant with my son too, but I don't know. Our daughter (the one gestating now) is perfectly healthy in size and estimate weight, so I know she's gaining what she should. Should I be worried about myself though?
    Anonymous

• You're probably fine, just not gaining much from the morning sickness. No offence, but at your height and weight you probably have a little extra to get by on so I wouldn't worry about it.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Eat when you are hungry. Exercise. Drink water constantly. If you don't feel well then there is a problem. My midwife said she doesn't even care if I gain or lose. As long as I feel good and I stay strong. If you are really concerned about your health, exercise more. Keep your muscle mass up.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I'm 28 weeks and I've only gained 3lbs the whole time I've been pregnant and I lost about 8lbs at the beginning bc I was so sick. I eat ALL the time and am really surprised I havent gained more. I was normal weight before and right now I am ALL belly and look like I have a basketball under my shirt. I went to the Dr this past Monday and they said I hadnt gained anything at all the past month and I asked if that was bad and she said that as long as the baby is measuring where she should be and as long as my belly is measuring where it should be (Im actually measuring a week bigger) then she said she isn't concerned right now. She said basically the baby is taking all my nutirition and energy since Im not gaining weight but right now its not hurting anything. This is also my 2nd child and I gained 38 lbs with the first.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I dont see the big deal at all and I dont understand why people even focus on their weight at all! I am 31 weeks and have only gained 3 pounds and my doc hasnt said anything at all. I was under my pre-pregnancy weight when I delivered my first 2 and the midwife didnt care then either.

Your baby gets what it needs from you so it really doesnt matter
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:30 PM on Nov. 20, 2009