4 day fever

my daughter is 17 months old> on monday she woke up in the middle of the night with a 101.1 fever. idnd't htink anything of it. Then since then she has gotten fevers all the time 103.6 is the highest. She has a nasty cough( sounds like she's an old man who has smoked his whole life) she has snot all over everytime she coughs or sneezes it's everywhere. The doctor said it's just a normal flu but she's had a fever for 4 days and she's miserable. IDK what to do. I have no insurance or anything. HELP!!!!

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 3:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Keep giving "Advil" and keep her hydrated. If the fever doesn't break within a day or two, I would take her to a walkin clinic or ER.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• you need to get that child to a doctor...insurance or no insurance!
    Hell use the emergency room if you have to....
    apply for medicaid or see if your state has a cheap childrens insurance plan....I know Florida has Florida kid-care......so I assume your state has something similiar.
    good luck
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 8:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It's normal for fevers to last several days. If her fever is over 101 for 7 days then I would bring her back... but as long as it's coming down after giving Motrin then I wouldn't worry about it.
    If she starts to get more sick, has trouble breathing, won't drink or acts very lethargic then bring her in ASAP.
    To help her feel better at home... Tylenol and Motrin for comfort. Encourage lots of fluids, eating at this point isn't important. SOmetimes milk can make coughing worse, so if you notice that it does try skim milk or have her drink water or something afterwards. Do a humidifier in her room. Prop her up on pillows when she sleeps.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:55 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• my son had a horrible cough that we thought was just a cold (since we were passing it around the house)... his cough was gettin worse so i took him to the er to find out its pneumonia! w/ your lil one being so little i would say go to the er and let them check her out!
    beccan

Answer by beccan at 4:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2009