it's been 4 days now

my daughter is 17 months old? on monday she woke up in the middle of the night with a 101.1 fever. idnd't htink anything of it. Then since then she has gotten fevers all the time 103.6 is the highest. She has a nasty cough( sounds like she's an old man who has smoked his whole life) she has snot all over everytime she coughs or sneezes it's everywhere. The doctor said it's just a normal flu but she's had a fever for 4 days and she's miserable. He told me to get her robistion(SP) IDK what to do. I have no insurance or anything. HELP!!!!

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 3:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you given her Motrin? That is what always helps my kids. Give it with the Robitussin. If it's already been 4 days, she should start to feel better soon. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• there should be "free clinics" around the area...we don't have insurance either, and my hubby only got charged 110 for the visit and antibiotics..so if you can afford that, i'd take her just in case..
    Anonymous

• Your daughter doesn't have insurance? Apply for medicaid. It is your responsibility to make sure your daughter has coverage. If her fever is really high, put her in the tub with water that is lukewarm and just keep pouring the water over her head. If you don't have a humidifier, you can put a huge pot of water on the stove and this should help her sinuses. Also, they make a baby vapor bath, which could help with her congestion.

Good luck. My daughter had a 103.6 fever over the summer and it scared the hell out of me (we was out of the country) . . . the whole sickness lasted about 4 days, so hopefully your daughter is at the ass end of this bug.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It sounds like the flu, and there really isn't much a doc can do. THe very best thing is to let the fever run its corse, keep her hydrated, watered down gatorade works well, every 5 min have her take a sip. Vapor rubs, and both of you strip down jump in the shower and just sit in there and have her breathe in the steam... When we had the flu we did this pretty much every time the water heater was full, don't let her sleep on her back, have her sleep in a recliner or anything to keep her elevated. IF she can't blow her nose, then use an asperator here and there to help clear her sinuses. A little warm honey water works wonders for helping break up the phlem. I know its misrable... but this too will pass. I woudn;t go to a doc or clinic.. its sounds like the flu, right now the very best thing is to keep her home and not expose her to a chance at a secondary infection.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• i make to much money to get medicade i've been trying since her first b-day
    Madelyn_Marie

Answer by Madelyn_Marie at 4:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• also, guive yourself some peace of mind and google feaves. 103.5 is fine. Take five min to understand how a fever works, and when it becomes dangerous. a 103 fever that coems and goes is a good sign that she has a healthy developing immune system!!! Just keep her hydrated... can't stress that enough. at some point your going to find her tossing in bed covered in sweat... then you can know that she's over the worst and all thats left is getting all the plem coughed up and her body back to normal.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:17 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Have you tried CHIP? It says that no family makes too much for CHIP. I"m guessing that either your job doesn't offer benefits or they're too expensive. I know at my old job, before I ever was pregnant, I paid $130/month for insurance just for myself. Another woman I worked with paid like $500/month for her and her child . . RIDICULOUS! I don't know if you have tried CHIP, but if you haven't, I hope you can get it. What a scary feeling to not have any insurance for your child.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2009