Is it possible my 8 yr. old boy still does not understand school?

He is in 3rd grade and came home with poor grades oh but he made a 100 on his spelling test...what is up with that?

I don't know what else to do I spend alot of time with him and my 6 yr. old dd and I feel that they understand but when it comes to showing their work in school this is what I get in return...aarrgg!
He can read but he struggles, he knows his math but seems to struggle there too now they will be moving to multiplication and he has no clue he thinks he does but I know him. Help! I don't want him to fail this year or ever :( Thanks moms...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Has he been tested for learning disabilities? That could be one of many possibilities. Call or E-mail the teacher to see if you can set up a conference with her to get to the root of the problem.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Observe him at school. He may have focusing problems. I know the reason he did good at spelling. Parents like me come in and do spelling with them. :)
    Anonymous

• Have you spoken with his teacher?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Go to school with him and sit through some classes with him.
    Anonymous

• Speak with the teacher- they may see something that you're not.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 5:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2009