What are the consequences when your kids cuss at you?

My mom slapped me upside the head so hard one time when I cussed at her haha.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 4:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• soap in the mouth
    Anonymous

• My kids cuss, but not at me. I guess we don't know yet what we will do.
    Isn't your kid a little young for you to worry about this? Or is this a troll question?
    Anonymous

• A troll question, what? I'm not a troll. It's an honest question, in the "Just for Fun" section.

I'm not "worried" about it, either. I'm just interested in what other parents do for discipline. I don't have to have a worry about something to be interested in it, do I?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• lol.. well cait, when I did it to my mom she left me alone in the house for about 2 hours while she went somewhere fun with my sister. I did it many times after, and there really were no lasting consequences. I wouldn't do it now, but that's because my mother and I have resolved our differences and I respect her more now. If my kids ever do it to me, I will put soap in their mouth. My nephews get slapped.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My kids where taughtfrom a very young age not to swear at me or around me.  The consequence of swearing at or around me would be BAD.

Answer by louise2 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Honestly, I don't think I'll do anything about it when the time comes. They're just words, and who says we shouldn't swear? Society doesn't like it, but that's about it. We'll just make sure our kids know not to swear in public, lol.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• So you don't believe in freedom of speech? You just believe in control and abuse? Is that what parenting is about? Or is it teaching that there are better ways of voicing your differences and that swearing is reserved for stubbing toes and such?
    Anonymous

• I don't believe in allowing children to grow up thinking they can disrespect their parents. My sister slaps her kids, when they curse AT her, not just in general. When they are with me they don't say those things because they know that I do not allow speaking like that towards others. My child will learn the same. Not necessarily the same way because I won't slap her, but she will understand that cursing at her mother will get her punished. I don't think its wrong, and I certainly wont reprimand her if she says SHIT when she drops something or hurts herself.. I do it!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 4:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Don't know,  it hasn't happened yet, but it won't be pretty when it does.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I'm not sure, but I'm thinking soap....????

I waited until I was an adult to throw cursing at my parents and they were throwing it at me first, which doesn't make either one of us right. My mom would've probably slapped me then crammed a bar of soap in my mouth. My dad would've probably died because the big vein in his head would've burst right then and there.

If it is a first offense I would ask where they learned the language and why they thought it was okay to curse at me? I would make sure they were aware of what they were saying. I would probably go soft then. I depends on their age and what they meant by it and where they learned it from.

Actually, what I would do is remove everything they liked to eat from the house for however long I deemed appropriate depending on the severity of the curse. If nothing good can come out of their mouths, then nothing they consider "good" can go in.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 5:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2009