Do you think this is a good idea?

I was thinking of starting a local charity where we gather food donations and make dinners to take them to families who are in the hospital either for child birth or for issues withpregnancy. This way they could have a home cooked meal and also know that someone is there for them if they need someone to speak to, etc.
Also we could make little gift baskets for new parents and send them to the rooms for our condolences and congratulations.

Do you think this would be a good idea and something people would help in locally? (Obviously I know everyone who reads this will not be local to me, but would you help it or be interested in it if you were in the hospital?)

Thanks! =)

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 4:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I think it would be a great idea! Just check with your local health department to make sure you don't need a kitchen license to do this. I don't think that you would since it would be a charity, but I would hate to see you do something good for the community and get fined because of your local and/or state laws. If you attend church, maybe you can start it through there (and use their already licensed kitchen). Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It sounds delightful! I would think that churches and other charitable groups might be interested in getting involved, as well as people not in groups and churches. Possible complications would be Health Department codes and inspections.

A friend's church provides meals for those in their congregation in need. There are groups of ladies who take turns. The leader of the group calls the others and asks for donations that they all prepare in their own homes, and she also arranges for delivery. No Health Dept. involvement.

Answer by Bmat at 4:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I'd contact local maternity hospitals and find out if they have any charity services like these available. Then, you could tailor what services you do to which needs aren't being met already. Someone like a volunteer services coordinator could probably tell you what would be helpful, and what would be a duplication of existing services.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Nov. 21, 2009