Excommunication rules in your church

Does your church excommunicate members? if so what is the process is it a lifetime thing or can you get back into the church.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nope, the only real discipline is that a member who is in an obviously sinful lifestyle, such as open adultry can't be a leader.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• As far as I know Matthew 18 is followed and most of the time it never goes that far. It is so rare if not at all that someone is asked to leave. We believe in the power of His Love and GRACE that changes hearts. We work with them, encourage them to do a Sozo session or few and get the counseling they need. We do all we can to encourage them to change by loving them and letting them know who they are in Christ.

I belonged to a church a while back that excommunicated several but they went about it all wrong. One was living the gay lifestyle... he didn't know how to change and we told him he had to leave ( I was not understanding all this and a young christian at the time) , he called the pastor while in San Francisco asking for help and he hung up on him and called my husband who did the same thing but has since apologized, sadly the damage was done. He still lives that lifestyle,,has aides as well. continued....
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Others were treated similar and believe me I was so uncomfortable with it all but went along with it because I just didn't understand it. I didn't agree but was not one of those that was heard. That church turned cultic and crashed and burned. It no longer exists. the only ones still following God is me and one other gal.
    The church I attend now... would never treat people like this. I am thankful for that one!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Church sweety--not faith. You can be excluded from a church and not your faith.
    Anonymous

• that you was used in general, as in a person can be excommunicated from their church but not their faith. I believe there some Catholic priest that were excommunicated but never left their faith. Church and faith are different
    Anonymous

• I have been in a church that did that because a man was living an immoral lifestyle. First the Pastor and Deacons tried to talk to him but every time they did he said he wouldn't stop it. So they brought it up in church and the man was kicked out. Now if he had wanted to go back he would had to have stopped that lifestyle and gotten forgiveness from God. Then he could have come back to that church.
    ifollowjesus

Answer by ifollowjesus at 5:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• we don't excommunicate but if someone is living a lifestyle of sin then they can't be in ministry or leadership.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 5:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I view "excommunication" more that someone does to themselves than something done to them. A person crosses a big the line and so they excommunicate themselves from the Church - they've made a choice that is so contrary to the beliefs of the church that they have cut themselves off from the church.

For Catholics excommunication is a wake- up call to try to get the person to realize that they are way off track. Excomunicated Catholics are still under obligation to attend Mass, even though they can't receive Holy Communion or take an active part in the Mass (like reading, bringing the offerings, etc.). Those who are excommunicated are encouraged to retain some relationship with the Church, as the goal is to encourage them to repent and return to active participation in the Catholic faith.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• actually, I was using Church vs faith

but I guess you were checking your butt not reading if it is the same to you maybe this question wasn't for you as there would be no church to exclude you from.

Anonymous

• I don't know about members but I know about pastors being excommunicated. One was preaching in church on sunday and since SDA's view friday sundown to saturday sundown as sacred just as the bible tells us to, he was kicked out for that. He also preached at the SDA church, but preached on Sunday at a different church. I am sure the pastor/s who molested children got kicked out and duh they sexually molested little kids I don't blame them. Pastor's have been asked to leave for preaching false doctrine, it has to be SDA doctrine none other. But as far as members getting kicked out I have no clue.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 8:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2009