What are the latest that autism symptoms usually show up?

My daughter is almost 17 months and I'm pretty sure she is not autistic, but I am just curious, because I know some children are developing normally and then start to regress.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 6 yr old son was diagnosed with autism at 2 yrs and 10 months, but i knew something was wrong way before then and he was receiving therapy at about 20 months. Some signs to look for are walking on tiptoes alot, flapping of hands, spinning objects or turning around in circles, no communication, no eye contact, etc. I didn't know all these things at first, but now that I've experienced them I want to share this with you and maybe you can talk to his pediatrician about it. I hope this helps.
    luvelymommy

Answer by luvelymommy at 12:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I think they don't usually show up till about 3 years old and may go undiagnosed until adulthood. It does affect girls less often then boys though.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:17 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• 3? Isn't that late? My friend's son was diagnosed at like 1 1/2 years old.
    Anonymous

• If your child has ASD from birth then yes, 3 years old is a bit late for a diagnosis.
    If you're child is going to regress it typically happens around or after the 3rd birthday.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• If you child has aspergers or high functioning autism it may not be diagnosed until elementary school.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2009