Pet food question

What do you think about the dog food Diamond Naturals--Chicken and Rice? We are looking for a better brand the just Dog Chow.

mom-2-4boys

Asked by mom-2-4boys at 5:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Pets

• I like the Natura brand, personally. There are no fillers, no corn and no by-products. It's cheaper than the grocery store brands (Iams, Purina, Pedigree) because you feed less of it. (It's more expensive by volume, but cheaper in the long run.)
    Naturapet.com
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 5:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It is not bad but there are better food out there

Check out this site I went to the food you are interested in so that you can see the review
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=936&cat=all
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• We feed Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice and have noticed great results in our 3 dogs. One is allergic to any brand you can find in a grocery or department store and was getting by on IAMS, but all allergic symptoms stopped when we started feeding this food. Our other dogs that needed it put on weight easily and have shinier coats, not to mention a TON of energy! Our old Aussie Shepherd lost the extra weight and regained her vitality.

I was pointed toward a site that had DOG FOOD RATINGS and that's where I started. MANY of those brands are not available in our area but you can compare your choice to other foods.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:29 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Diamond is a good brand
    We can't get it since we moved here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• The food often depends on the individual dog. Make sure you are feeding a food appropriate for your dog's age and activity - and read the fine print. Many foods are labeled as adult foods but are made for all life stages (which essentially means that it's a puppy food and can contain excesses that your adult dog doesn't need).

Try to avoid human emotions in the decision. Many companies would have you believe that ingredients such as soy, corn, or by-products are bad, but these quality ingredients can be very beneficial. Avoid food comparisons that only look at ingredients as a test of quality.

If you keep with the major name brands you are probably going to do okay.

Finally, make sure the food has passed AAFCO feeding trials. You want to know that your food has been tested to stand up to the needs of your pet, not just formulated to do so.

Ask me if you have other questions, pet nutrition counseling is what I do.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 10:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I've always used Dog Chow. My dogs are happy & healthy. My yorkie is 13 1/2 years old & still going strong. Purina Dog Chow is one of the few brands that was NOT recalled for tainted ingredients.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 23, 2009