my almost two year old's bedtime...question.

my son is now officially sleeping in his own bed at night instead of with hubby and I. He is starting to want one of us to lay with him in his bed till he is asleep. I was wondering if that is a bad habit to start or is that normal for his age? He also wakes up in the middle of the night at like four am and wants us to sleep with him, is this normal as well and will letting him lay with us till morning be bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son and daughter do this too. What my dh & I do is we read their books to them then he will lay with our son and I lay with dd. Then after about 10 minutes we switch. Again after about 10 minutes we both get up and tell them it's nite-nite time and they have to go to bed. During the night we always just put them back in bed and tell them nite-nite. I wouldn't start that habit of waiting until he's asleep, maybe just until he's kinda groggy, then taper it off gradually. Oh mine are 4 & 2 1/2.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Some say it is a bad habit.. But, that is how I got both my kids (now ages 7 and 5 ) into their own beds. I started out just like you laying down until they were asleep and gradually I would leave earlier and earlier. When my son was 2 and my daughter was 4. (she had more seperation issues) , they both were in their own beds. It took a lot of patience, but it is one way to do it.
    Anonymous

• I don't allow more then about 10 minutes of cuddle time either, after that it is time for my DD to go to sleep.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 5:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• that is bad habit.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't call it "normal" I would just say that some kids want it and some don't. My daughter goes to sleep whenever I tell her to, all I do is lay her down and kiss her goodnight *shrug* We've just always been that way with her.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 6:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2009