Is is true that Gatorade is unsafe for pregnant women to drink?

My MIL has me stressed out , saying that Gatorade is bad for the baby due to the high level of sodium.. I have tried all day to get my OBs office on the phone to ask. I feel like it might be a stupid ? but just to make sure I'm asking

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sodium helps your body retain water and other nutrients your body needs to survive- I wouldn't call 110mg high. According to the American Heart Association and the FDA you should aim to take in less than 2300mg of sodium per day- You'd have to drink 20, 8 oz. servings of gatorade to get that! (So no- it can't hurt you, if anything it'll help! All the electrolytes keep you hydrated)
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 5:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I drank it when I was preggo, just don't over do it. And drink plenty of water. If you are concerned about the salt isn't there a G2 or Gatorid AM that doesn't have so much sodium?
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• No one should have high fructose corn syrup, especially children and pregnant women.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I drank it with my last pregnancy and it was the only one that I wasn't dehydrated with. I think I may have had one of the 32 oz bottles and it lasted me 2 days. i didnt drink them back to back, just every now and then. My doc said it was fine in moderation.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 6:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Gatorade actually helps some women who have an electrolyte imbalance when their pregnant. It makes them feel much less sick.

You'll know when you have too much salt because you'll have more (than usual) swelling in your fingers and ankles.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• water has made me vomit, at my last visit my OB told me to drink gatorade.
    BandME

Answer by BandME at 10:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2009