Hitting?

Any advice on how to get my daughter to stop hitting me and others? Violence has been becoming more frequent the last few weeks, from hitting and scratching to punching, kicking and charging... She doesn't get this from me, as I am as non-violent as they come. An ex-boyfriend I had was "playful" in that he rough housed a lot with his boys and tried to with me, but she never sees that anymore. She's 2, and i'm not sure what to do. We've tried time-outs, hand swats, talking about it, showing nice behavior, just about anything I can think of... any advice is welcome!

mrskrisher

Asked by mrskrisher at 6:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried letting her be independent? A lot of times at that age kids are simply showing they are a big boy or a big girl.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• ok not to be rude, but if you're "hand swatting" her, that is hitting. She does get it from you.
    Anonymous

• You are right, hand swatting is hitting. It was how I was raised, and worked to keep me out of trouble, so I tried it with her.

And I have let her be independent. My family often tells me I am too easy on her, because I allow her to express herself. She is only told "no" if something is dangerous, or if we have to leave. I allow her to play, make noise, experiment, and that may be the problem... am I allowing her too much freedom. She has boundaries, and a schedule... and we stick to them, but flexibly. For example, if she sleeps until 9am, I may put her down for her nap an hour later...
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 6:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2009