How do you stop feeling bad about what others say about you?

Is it something that comes with age or what? I'm 21 and I'm going crazy here.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 6:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Having a high self opinion helps.
    Anonymous

• I'm 43 and sometimes I'm hurt by what someone on CafeMom says to me. I think it's just a matter of your personality. Some people are more sensitive than others.

I was told once to worry about the opinions of people you RESPECT and ignore those of people you don't.

I remind myself of that when I get too bothered by a stranger's opinion of me.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 6:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Well, I'm 32 and sometimes it still gets under my skin. I don't like people not liking me, especially when they really don't know me. But there are always going to be those people. When I'm getting upset I try to remember the quote, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 6:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Remember this "You shouldn't worry about what others think about you because that's selfish, you should worry about what you think of them."

I know, that if I don't like someone, then there is something wrong with them because I like just about everybody and it takes a long time for me to write someone off completely.

On the other hand, I know my faults better than anyone else, so if people find me annoying, I can deal with that and possibly even agree with that. But I think they should be nice about it. There's no reason to be rude to another person just because you don't like them.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 6:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It's called graduating from The School of Hard Knocks. 

At times your better off keeping your mouth shuts and just learn.

Anonymous

• Look at the source that it comes from. A lot of the time, they aren't worth another thought! ;)
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 6:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Loryl is exactly on point!
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 7:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Think about what's said. Scan yourself for it. Is it true? Is it a real FLAW? If not, blow it off. If so, do a little self improvement =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Part of it is in facing the fact that you're not perfect, and in realizing that being perfect is not only impossible, but not really all the desirable. Our flaws are part of what makes us who we are, and what makes us real.

Open up yourself to the fact that you are imperfect and see your own value beyond that. I'd like to say that it comes with age, but I just don't think that's true. I've seen people far younger than me overcome their own imperfections earlier and with greater grace than I. We all learn things at different ages.

Just know that you are doing your best, you are caring for your child as best you know and with all the love in your heart. You are doing what is right and anyone who judges you should take along look in the mirror at themselves. Most of that comes from their own insecurities. It may not seem it, but it's true.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Remember the only opinion that should matter to you is gods not any one else and just laugh at it dont let it get to you I used to be the worst at it but then one day I finally realized ....you know what if someone says something bad about me or tries to hurt me its because obviously they have no life and they are probably feeling the same way ,who knows what goes on in there life ,but it must be pretty bad for them to want to make other people feel bad....I just feel bad for them and pray for God to show them there ways hope this helps
    Anonymous