when since, is "a woman thats in control of her own life", categorized as being a "control FREAK"???

Recently, I have been labeled a control freak, by an acquaintance. I say "acquaintance", because she is not a family member, co-worker, nor friend. This lady - depending on how it serves her - can go from praising me for something, to cursing me, all in the same day. I dont want to focus on the 'how we know each other' because it will overshadow my purposes, here. .... But if you are so inclined to ask, I'll be happy to explain.

I've heard of this, in general media, SO much, that I'm frankly getting tired of the generalizations, and I'd like clarification based upon a general consensus....

Whats the difference between "a woman in control of her own life; decisions, actions, thoughts, choices, etc." , and a "control freak"?

I am amazed at the people who get miffed, when they fail to get a rouse out of me. Or, how about the ones that get mad at you... I mean really pissed... because you were right about something.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• I am in control of my life, decisions, actions, thoughts, choices, etc. and.. I AM a control freak.

So personally I don't see it, but that is just me.
    Anonymous

• sounds like control freak 2 me 2
    Anonymous

• lol... So, if that is the definition of "a control freak", then I suppose I fit the bill.
    On the same token, however, then I also have to view the label as a COMPLIMENT to my character, education, and independence.... , not as an insult.

Right?
    Anonymous

• lol, that's not my definition of control freak. There's nothing wrong with having self control. A control freak is someone who, for example, doesn't trust her dh to load the dishwasher, because "he always does it wrong, he puts the silverware in upside down". Or micromanages at their job to the point that the people they work with aren't trusted to think for themselves (I assume an employee has the ability to do their job, if not, let them go. No need to micromanage...)

A control freak is NOT a woman in control of her own life. It's a person who has to be in control of everyone and everything around them, as well.

I know some control freaks. One still brushed her kids teeth for them (One was middle elem. school age, and one was in Jr High), because she wanted it done right. One still laid out her kids clothes, even in hs, so they "looked cool and were a good reflection of her taste in clothes". That's controlling!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Labels are in the eyes of the beholder. By this woman's view you're a control freak. You have to decide whether you really care about her opinion. Me, I'd happily take the label and consider the seemingly psychotic source.

But in general? A control freak is over the top. Oprah Winfrey is "a woman in control of her own life; decisions, actions, thoughts, choices, etc." Joan Crawford was a control freak.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• But in general? A control freak is over the top. Oprah Winfrey is "a woman in control of her own life; decisions, actions, thoughts, choices, etc." Joan Crawford was a control freak.

EXACTLY!!!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I wonder if she would have said that if you were a man?
    Anonymous

• Ain't THAT the truth PP!?!
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 8:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2009