do you give your toddler benadryl when they have a cold, just so they can have a good nights rest? is that ok?

i know benadryl is used for allergies/rashes mostly, but with the drowsy effect to that medicine, i'm tempted sometimes to give it to my toddler when he's been sick with a cold, to give him a good nights rest - do other moms do this, or is it really bad to do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I did this, but only after getting her doctors approval and the proper dosage for her age/weight, it did help tremendously!!
    ambergrace612

Answer by ambergrace612 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I've done it. If they have a cold, it helps with the congestion and gives them a good night's sleep.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I don't do it, because its not really helping much. Because its not helping my ds congestion, so he doesn't hardly sleep any better anyway, I just stay up for the duration. It sucks but I prefer that, then giving unnecessary medicine.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 7:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Benedryl makes my son BOUNCE OFF THE WALLS!!!!
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 7:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I do it to help dry them up, which cuts back on their coughing, and help them sleep.

I also use Tylenol cough and cold plus if they have a sore throat or sinus problems.
    Anonymous

• Benadryl is NOT for colds. It is intended for children with allergies. If your child is known to have allegies then give them the med to treat them. If they do NOT have allergies do not use this med. It even says on bottle do not give to child to make sleepy.....Thats basically drugging your baby correct?
    Anonymous

• I think you are more concerned about yourself getting a good nights sleep than your child. I bet if you would have asked Dr this question. the answer would have been NO
    Anonymous

• Nope.

I've heard of daycares lining children up and giving them Benadryl to help them nap better -- one daycare in my state did this and a child DIED because of it. I myself am allergic to the main ingredient in Benadryl, so my child will never get it because I don't want to risk it if she is allergic to it.

It's never good to give your child a drug just so they'll sleep better... if it's prescribed or for an illness, sure, but just for the heck of it? No.
    ddmac314

Answer by ddmac314 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My daughter recently had a cold and I did give her Benadryl one night- in hopes of relieving some congestion and helping her sleep. The bottle says for runny nose, watery eyes, etc. She had all of those symptoms. I guess maybe there is a difference in symptoms being from allergies or a cold? I wouldn't give it to her on a regular basis just to help her sleep, but on occasion when she is sick and I am hoping to get some relief and a good night's sleep, I don't feel guilty about it at all. Now lining up kids for Benadryl at nap time? That is just crazy!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• MaryMW... i think you have one of the best answer yet! Thats pretty much how i feel!

31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2009