at my wittsend!

OMG.. my two yr old. who will be three in about a week.. is driving me off the walls. he is doing everything possible to make me mad. he'll write on the wall, when he has paper right infront of him. hee 'll take everything out of the fridge and give it to the cat.. he wll take out all his and our clothes out of the drawers then poop on them. he tried to throw the cat over the balcony.. he will turn on the stove.. he will play with water when he washes his hands.. basically he is driving me crazy. .i have tried time out.. i have tried.. yelling.. i tried taking things away i have tried.. everything and anything that i could think and nothing is working.. i recently took away all his toys, tv and everything that he loves just because i dont know what to do with him!! i need some help!!

MommaBear1129

Asked by MommaBear1129 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First thing is taking away all of his toys is not the answer. If he has nothing to play with then he nothing to distract him from causing mischief. Next, start thinking about natural consequences. Messes have to be cleaned and if he makes a mess then he has to clean it (yes, even at his age). My little boy just turned three in September and while he is usually quite good he has his drawing on the wall moments. First I will tell him that I'm disapointed. Never tell them they are bad. Bad describes a personality while things like naughty described an incident. If you keep telling them they are bad they will undoubtedly live up to it. Once you have expressed how his actions made you feel you need to address the remedy. Keep Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on hand. My husband swears they should sell these things on the crayon isle. Wet the magic eraser and hand it to him. Show him how to clean his mess.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 8:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• The same goes for the laundry. Make him wash out the mess in the sink and reload the washer (Mine can reach it with the aid of a small step stool). Keep him busy working with you as long as it takes to clean up his mess. Don't let him go off to play. Gently redirect him back to the task at hand. When everything is tidy again tell him "Boy, cleaning sure does take a lot of time. I wish we had more time to play today but we were so busy cleaning that we just didn't have the time. Maybe tomorrow we won't have so much cleaning to do and we'll be able to play".

As for the cat, I'm going to assume he likes the cat. Try sending the cat to a friends house for a few days so that he can see what things are like without the cat. Tell him that if we can't take good care of our pets we can't have them. When you bring the cat back home explain to him that you are getting a second chance to do the right thing.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 8:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• he does clean his own messes. he cleans whatever mess he makes no matter what it is. as for the cat, i dont knw i tried sending the cat away and its just not happening. as for the toys, they were taken away bcuz, he needs to learn consequences.
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Maybe try just doing the time outs. You have to be consistant. Pick one place for the time out. Once he does not listen place him in time out. Get down to his level and let him know why he is on time out. The key is not so much how long he sits but that he knows you are in control. If he takes you serious then he knows if he acts up you will place him in time out. If he gets up off of time out place him back each time until he does actaully sit for a few minutes. Another suggestion is maybe taking him outside for a walk or doing some exercise or activities. This may help lessen his getting into everything...lol. Praise him for good behavior which hopefully will have him wanting to get positive reaction instead of negative. If he is good tell him you will do something special together like play ball, go to the playground. I hope some of this helps, if you need some more help you can message me.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• i've done time outs.. whenever we go to a playground he fights..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• try maybe just talking to him, I know it sounds WAY TOO simple to be effective, but negative attention brings on more negative actions sometimes.. so remember to praise when he's good. what works for my son 'sometimes" but a lot of them, is warnings.. ok at the park.. max, in 5 minutes we have to be all done at the park, then say it again each minute til 1 minute, then tell him its the last time sliding at the park today and we have to go home to eat etc.. he's been a struggle with EVERYTHING.. naps, beditme, leaving, stores etc.. and this has as amazingly stupid and simple as it sounds, actually worked... I dont know why or how but my son just turned 2 and we've been doing it for 3 months and its almost a savior... I mean, of course there's still tantrums and mischief but not what I think you are talking about nearly as often.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• i just had a talk with him.. and now he's jumping around.. i dont know.. he's acting like this!!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 10:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• If the problem seems to be totally out of control then I would suggest taking him to be evaluated just to make sure everything is ok. While some things maybe typical boy things the one about trying to throw the cat off the balcony is a little scary. I would most defintely keep the cat away if you can. Maybe try a behavior specialist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Nov. 21, 2009