am i a bad mom cuz i chosen to have a baby that i knew i was going to pass a disability to

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• what kind of disability?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Wow, that is hard... How did you know you would pass it on. Nothing is really a guarantee. Infants born to HIV positive moms can still be negative, sickle cell parents can have children that don't have the trait. So how did you know 100 percent without a doubt that you would pass it on to your child?

It would also depend on what disability you are talking about. If the child will be in pain until the day they die, I think it might be a selfish move to have a child knowing what they will go through.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:44 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• a speech disability
    Anonymous

• Bad mom for speech issues... NO that is not being a bad mom..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• What a speech disability?
    Anonymous

• How on earth would you know that your child would inherit a speech disability? We all have SOMETHING that runs in our families... whenever you have a baby there is no guarantee that everything will go smoothly. If you're selfish, pretty much everyone else is too. There is a high incidence of learning disabilities in my family... was I selfish to have kids? Of course not- I was smart enough to realize this and keep an eye out for it so problems could be corrected early. My seven year old (extremely bright!) son also has a probable learning disabiity- we're working with him and with the school on how to best manage it for him. He's a wonderful kid, and I in no way feel bad for having him even though learning disabilities run in the family!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Do you mean like stuttering? I can;t imagine what speech disability is passed genetically besides that one, no YOU are not a bad MOM!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• yea stuttering
    Anonymous

• No sweetie stuttering can be overcome, with alot of kiddos it is a phase, good mommy, stop worrying huggles to you!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• nope not a bad mom at all. people can over come that, my brother did.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2009