If you won the lottery what would you buy and would you tell everyone or keep it private so people wouldn't ask for money?

If I won the lottery I'ld pay off our debt and house and then give it to my sister and buy a house with 4 bedrooms and a backyard and pool.
I'ld set up accounts to send my kids to college and money for my 3 nieces and 2 nephews to go to school. I'l give my younger siblings money for new cars(since they don't have kids) and give one of my sisters money to start her own beauty salon.
Most importanntly I'ld make sure my parents and in-laws had money to retire/enjoy retirement.
I think I'ld still be shopping the sales and clearance racks because I don't need anything fancy.

paula405

Asked by paula405 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well, besides all the do gooder give to my family type thing....I'd buy a fleet of Maserati's. I probably wouldn't tell my extended family because I don't come from a great family. But i'd probably secretly help all of them somehow. I'd also buy the school my son attends new play ground equipment....and buy a bigger house.

Anonymous

• Depends on how much I won, small under a million LOL I would keep it to myself, and pay off everything quit my job stay home with ds and live a good life,,,, large I always said I would do things like suprise my friends with payed of homes and cars, as long as I kept some away for DS college and his future I would have a BLAST suprising people!! I actually did a woman's hair who won 2 million dollars and she was broke within 2 years because her kids kept borrowing from her, believe it or not 5 years after that she won again this time 750,000 put it away for her nest egg....hmmm maybe I should go buy I ticket or 2 I always forget!!!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I'd keep it private. The first thing I'd do is get an attorney and financial advisor to help me figure out all the tax stuff, then I'd set up a trust fund for my son so that he would be taken care of and somewhat financially secure. Then I'd be looking into group homes or private caregivers for my son(he has autism) and pay for mine,DH, and kids' funeral expenses, then I'd go out and buy a house with pool, exercise room, gourmet kitchen and maybe housekeeping staff, and pay it in full~ CASH! Then DH and I would go to the dealership and pick out his/hers cars and again pay it in full with cash! Maybe after I do all that , I might let the family and friends in on my winnings~ or maybe not! lol
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I would tell my family, but nobody else. I'd pay off all of our debt, pay off my parents house, my sister's house, and my brother-in-law's house and we'd probably buy a house with a lot of property up in Oregon so we could be near my husband's family. Buy a little sports car for me, probably a huge truck for hubby, and possibly an SUV for us to share, lol.
    Definitely put quite a large sum into a trust fund for my DD, for college, and a car and the like.

With anything left over, I would love to eventually have horses (been riding for 10+ years and still have never owned a horse) and start a small pit bull and bully breed rescue.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 9:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I would give a set amount to each of my in laws and family. I would pay off the bills. Get my husband the car of his dreams and me a good car. I would put money away for my kids collage. I would get new furniture. I would put money away for retirement, start a vacation fund. And start a after the military fund, for a house and such. And hopefullyI would be able to pay off bill as they come and not have to worry about money anymore.  But maybe I can do a few of these things if my hubby gets a reenlistment bonus.  Here is to dreaming.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• depends on the amount, lets say $10mil. i'd pay off my debt, then i'd go to the porsche dealership and buy a Cayenne. then i'd drive to the real estate company and buy houses for me and my family, my inlaws, my dad and i'd give my bro in law $500,000 to start his own company. i'd buy my sister a rental property so that she can live on and make money off of. Then one hell of a shopping spree for myself because i havent done that ever. I'd invest in a radiology office and live the rest of my life off of the profits.
    Anonymous

• Those people have to pay taxes on your gift so I'd set up certain accounts for family that wouldn't be so taxed. Many college accounts etc.

I would buy a Tesla electric sports car: peridot with tan leather interior. I would also set up a scholarship endowment at my grad school and undergrad for people interested in earning the degrees I have.

I would also buy UNC basketball season tickets, mens and womens, for life.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I forgot to add that I would also invest it for our future. And I would give back to hospitals like St Jude and donate money to help families whose children are in the hospital. My daughter was admitted to the hospital at 3 weeks and all I took with me was an extra shirt(hospital toiletries stink) so I'ld get good stuff for the parents to have.
    paula405

Answer by paula405 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• My family are a bunch of greed asshats so I would not help any of them. When my dad died they went into his home his body was still in the morgue and they took anything they wanted. I got there and his 3 million dollar coin collection and two valuable paintings were stolen by his siblings. I am an only child so they knew everything was being left to me but what they didn't realize was I planned on giving them each a portion of his estate. I did not give them anything else after the will was read told them the fact they are going to avoid jail time if they bring back everything they stole should be more than enough. I got most of my dads things back and have not spoken to any of them since. I would not give them a penny after what they did. I would donate to the womens shelter and homeless shelter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• If I won the lottery I would scream it from the roof tops! I would pay off my mothers home, put 10K ish in to my business promotion, buy a double store front in the city for my stores and put anything that was left in the bank... People can ask for money all they want... I am a mom - I'm good at saying NO!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2009