I have been pumping but i am wondering if i could try breastfeeding again...

My baby lached good, i just decided not to breastfeed because i was being lazy, he will be 2 weeks tomorrow. I was wondering if it is possible to try again. I tried again about a week ago but my nipples were way too sore, they still are sore but not as much. Would it be stupid to try again? I was only gonna pump for 3 months so if i do try again and suceed then it will only be till he is 3 months. I would like to mention i have a great milk supply so no issues there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you outta try again! why not? best way to establish your supply is to nurse nurse nurse and if you wish, pump between feedings especially if you are engorged. but since babies nurse when they are hungry, which always varies, your supply will come in faster to meet the demand! you should contact your local la leche league branch for some assistance!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• deffinantly look into a la leche league near you they could help you!

also here is a link on how to get the baby back to breast http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• You should give it a try. You have nothing to lose, and nursing would be much less hassle than pumping. Your nipples will probably get sore at first but if your son latches correctly that shouldn't last long. Lanolin applied to the nipple after nursing works wonders, and if you nurse then the nipple soreness should only last a week or so, at least that was my case. After that they never hurt. The benefits of breast milk are great for your son but the skin to skin contact that comes with nursing has its own benefits too. You might even decide to nurse longer- formula is expensive and it is nice to never have to make a bottle. But if you don't nurse that's ok, too. No pressure- you have your hands full with a 2 week old, right? Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I would definitely try it again, and again, and again. My nipples were sore for a good week and a half and my right more so than my left. I found that because of my oversupply and my fast flow my baby kept on "biting" down to staunch the flow so it wouldn't over power him. I looked up the LLLI website and was happy to learn different techniques that not only helped with the nipple soreness but also his spitting up. They really do have great advice, I hope you look them up. They helped me.
    Anonymous

• Definitely. It's totally worth the work. You may find in a few months time that it's so easy and convenient (and free!) that you don't want to stop! 3 months is right when it gets really good and really easy... I couldn't imagine getting through the first 3 months just to give up and do all the work of bottlefeeding!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• sure,is better to try now them later. my ds is now almost 9 mtsand i been eping for that lomg so trying to latch him again is out of the question
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2009