Is recovery after having a baby terrible?

I'm 36 weeks and I'm wondering how the recovery process is. I have no idea what to expect after delivery. I know what the books say but I haven't heard any real life stories.

mommy2be121609

Asked by mommy2be121609 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It depends on if you have a vaginal delivery or c-section. Vaginal is a lot easier to get over then a c-section. I have had both. So I know.

Answer by louise2 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• depends on the kind of birth you have. the more natural u go the easier the recovery. My best recovery was after my 3rd, had no meds, no tearing etc. I felt great after!
    Anonymous

• It really wasn't that bad for me. I bruised my tailbone during delivery and that took about 5 or 6 weeks to finally feel normal again. Mostly it was just uncomfortable when I'd go to sit down, but actually sitting was okay. I had a vaginal birth and I tore inside and out. The hospital had diapers filled with ice to use as ice packs in your underwear to help with the swelling and pain. When we got home my husband made up a couple for me and those really are nice. A week later I was feeling well enough to walk around the mall for about an hour. My tailbone actually hurt more than anything at that point so I had to walk slow, but it wasn't too bad. I felt mostly back to normal by about 3 weeks after.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• it depends on how your delivery goes. i can only speak from my own personal experience. with my 1st, i had to get an episiotomy & some stitches so i was sore for a couple days. i didn't want to walk because it hurt. i was afraid to shower, poo or pee. but my fears were worse than the actual pain. i had to take it easy the first couple days til i healed. but other than that, it was easy sailing. with my second, i didn't tear or need and episiotomy, so i was up and walking like nothing happened. the biggest inconvenience was the bloody mess afterwards. but it's not too bad, at least my experiences weren't. i can't say anything about c-sections though. i imagine it would be a lot harder though.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 9:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Mine has entirely depended on the labor. My first was excruciating. I had a lot of problems delivering him and took weeks to feel a little normal again. My last one was the easiest!! It was an easy delivery and I was up moving around the next day. Once home, I was alone with 3 kids ages 2,1, and newborn. I was amazed at how well it went! I felt like my energy was baxk immediately and I had little pain.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• if vaginal- you'll feel like you did a bunch of sit ups. but other than your body recovering from the actual birth- yes its hard to recover as a whole b/c with a new baby, your body barely has time to heal itself. youll be so dag gum tired and worn out. oh and im not sure if you are worried about how your vaginal will feel afterwards, but i didnt have any pain there after, not even when wiping after peeing.
    Anonymous

• You will be tired (like you've never been), depending on your delivery, at bit weak, a bit sore in the vaginal area and really emotional. But overall, it's not that bad. (vaginal delivery)
    Anonymous

• I had a c-section and was up and walking the next day, was driving at 2 weeks (even though you're supposed to wait 6 weeks). I had no issues with anything listed above.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It really depends on how your delivery goes. I had a really rough delivery with my first and afterward I felt like I'd been run over. I had a ton of stitches that hurt so badly, too.
    My second pregnancy had been a nightmare and after feeling so horrible for so many months, once he was out, I felt like a million bucks. All the pain I'd been dealing with for so long was pretty much instantly gone. I felt like I wanted to do cartwheels once the epidural wore off. Also, I didn't need any stitches with him.
    Good luck!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• recovery isn't bad at all. I had a natural birth, no drugs, and a little tearing. You will feel quite exhausted right after you deliver but ususally you can get some sleep after. I never had any down time after I had my son. I walked a little slower the next day, I was afraid that I was going to hurt pretty bad down there but I never did, just sore for a week.
    Anonymous