Seperation Anxiety with babysitters/strangers?

My six month old will not put up with anyone holding her that she doesn't know. We live in Hawaii and far from family, so she isn't used to other people handling her. I've just starting going to physical therapy which requires me to leave her with a babysitter for a short while that I am at the dr. office. The problem is, she will not put up with it. I've left her with two different sitters and both of them call me or my husband to come and get her within the first hour because her crying is uncontrolable. What should I do? I know she just needs to get used to a sitter, but that takes time and the appointments are inconsistant. Is it wrong of me to put her through this? How would I find somebody who will put up with a crying baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are just not getting the right sitter. Be upfront about her needs so the are not caught off guard. I have had several kids that have this issue and it takes 2-4 weeks to break that cycle.
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 12:26 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• if it were me, i would have the sitter come a couple times a week while i was home (if you can afford it).. that way she can get used to the sitter while you are still there, and then when you have to leave she (hopefully) won't be too shocked. you can also get some stuff done at the house while the sitter is there ;)
    SavvyMomma1809

Answer by SavvyMomma1809 at 2:48 AM on Nov. 21, 2009