when to take an infant to the emergency room?

she's two weeks old, she has nasal congestion - its been on and off for two days. i'm getting different readings with an ear thermometer, one ear has been 98.5-98.8 and the other ear has given me readings 99-99.3

at what point do i need to take her to the emergency room? i did saline/nasal aspirator earlier and it did nothing. she can nurse and sleep and right now i dont hear anything wrong with her breathing, but i dont want to wait and go at midnight if its worse

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 10:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• don't panic, even the highest reading you got isn't considered a fever in a baby. you can always call your pediatrician's on-call staff any time of day or night and they will have the doctor call you back, it's much better than bringing your newborn to a germy ER. or even an urgent care facility. she's sleeping so you must be doing something right, relax mommy!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• They wont do anything. If the kid doesn't have a temp of at least 102 they arnt worried about it. Just put a humidfier in her room. Make a doctors appt it could turn into an ear infection. But dont worry, shes fine. There is nothing the hospital can do.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• ok... i'm terrified lol
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• all they will tell you to do is to keep doing what you are doing. Not much you can do for one so small. My daughter just got over her very first head cold, she was 8 months at the time. Not much more I could do for her than what you are doing for your 2 week old. And if you are ever worried, your doctor should have some kind of 24 hour help line to call. If it is nothing serious, I would call that first.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It might not even be congestion. I have a 9 day old baby and at times she'll breath rapidly. So I googled rapid breathing. It said at this age and for several weeks new born babies can be quite noisy when they breath. It has something to do with the fluid in their lungs being in the amniotic fluid. Its nothing to worry about. Although there was some kinda of problem from this fluid it said they don't let babies leave the hospital if they have this. As long as she can sleep and eat she is fine. Just to be on the safe side keep an eye out on her temp just in case.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• my doc said anytime a newborn has a fever, you go, no matter how low it is because you never know. I would go.But cant you call her doctor ? they are on call all the time, or someone at least should be taking his calls?
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:20 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• my daughter was really congested around 4 weeks her temp kept fluctuating I took her to a pediatrician and she was just fine. I was told to buy saline drops and a humidifier. But if her temp is high on a couple of her readings I would go to the doc just to be safe :)
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 12:41 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Just keep taking her temp and watching her. If it gets high like around 103 take her in other wise don't go. The best place to really catch a nasty virus is in the ER. She's safer at home with you than waiting around the ER with god knows who and where they have been.
    Inle_Rabbit

Answer by Inle_Rabbit at 12:53 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• The highest temp you got isn't a fever. Babies tend to run higher than us big people. She is eating and sleeping and doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain. Also congestion is very common in newborns and little ones. Keep an eye on her, if the temp gets to 100 then take her to your pedi or urgent care. If you decide to go to ER go in the morning, they are less crowded at that time.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:11 AM on Nov. 21, 2009