horrible restaurant moments with children.

I was talking with a friend who just had a bad night out to eat with her 15 month old. I was wondering if any of you had some bad moments in restaurants with your children.

My daughter was about 4 months old and was finally doing great when we went out to eat. My mother in law and sister in law were in town and they took us out to dinner. As soon as our food came, my daughter decided it was time to sit and scream her head off the WHOLE time. After a couple mins of not getting her to stop, I took her outside and sat in the grass with her while she cried and cried (she had a tummy ache from something that happened at the daycare). We sat out there while my husband and his mom and sister ate their lunch and sat in talked for a little bit ( I was pissed, I just wanted to go home but hubby was not done visiting). I ate my cold mexican food in the car ride home where my daughter slept soundly and my husband and I sat in silence.

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 10:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Continued...I know it was nothing my daughter could do about it because she was hurting but my husband could have took us home. I was upset at him.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:24 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• my son has always been good even as a baby..you were kind though to take her outside...i can't stand for parents to sit with their screaming kids.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• i did have one little scene with him in applebees that i recall...
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Oh, there was no way I would keep her in the restaurant screaming like that and ruin other peoples meals. She is wonderful now in restaurants (she is almost 9 months now) it was just that one time and it was not her fault.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• We have had those moments and the moment she starts acting up we pack up and leave. I wish other parents would do the same.
    Anonymous

• its funny...i see older kids more out of control than the babies. Usually running all over the place playing tag and just not behaving
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• i hear you anon, when ours act up we take them outside or to the bathroom so they can call down..we(dh and i) went out Wednesday night to a sports bar and this couple came in with their 3 kids and they were running up and down between the tables and yelling at the fish tank and then went into full melt down mode when their food came all the mom did was timidly say no no sit down and the dad did nothing...i was so aggravated seriously who brings kids to a sports bar at 9 pm? so we needless to say we didnt get to enjoy a kid free evening
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• wednesday night my son (18 m/o) and I went out of town with a friend and her son (14 m/o) and we ended up going to Olive Garden for dinner. Since we were out and about both babies didnt have a chance to nap so they were both pretty cranky. near the end of our meals, my son wanted OUT of the highchair...understandable. I had him sit in my lap he wanted down. I was hoping he'd hang out and I tried sitting him under the table thinking he might contently read a board book...nope he wanted to walk around. I tried to calm him down but he ended up screaming and threw a tantrum on the floor kicking around. others around us, some with babies STARED US DOWN. I asked my friend to excuse me so I could calm him down and use the ladies room and kinda loudly said "BECAUSE EVERYONE IS STARING AT US" lol. we left very shortly after and my son passed out in the car not even 5 mins later. next time I'll make sure my son gets a good nap
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• i see many of you say "I would never stay in the restaraunt if my baby started crying" and I certainly agree! I just wanted to add this was the firs time my son ever freakd out like that and I did leave the dining area shortly after my son started...I just attempted a few things hoping he'd calm down...but in the process he continued and I should have just gotten up and left in the first place LOL
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My son has loved eating in restaurants since he was a little baby, he had his first restaurant meal (chana masala) at 6 months. He's 4 now and he knows he has to behave if he wants to go to nice restaurants and he knows if he acts up he'll be taken out. I know he's a good customer because we have a few regular restaurants we go to and they love him and welcome him by name. We wouldn't get the service we get if he weren't a good customer. I expect him to sit nicely, eat neatly, order his own meal (he's been doing that since about 2 1/2), and clean up if he makes a mess.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2009