Falling with an infant in arms.

I was carrying my 2 month old down the stairs in our house and I fell down the last few steps and she came out of my arms and landed face down on the laminate flooring. I thought I was going to have a heart attack! I just feel awful. She has a big bruise-to-be on her forehead. We took her to the ER and they said she will be fine, but I just need to know that this or something like this has happened to other moms. I feel like I am always so careful with everything, but this is just a reminder too to always be on top of your game when on stairs. :-(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OH mama! While that sounds awful, I am sure you are far more traumatized than baby! You did the right thing: you got her checked out. Keep an eye on her and try to forgive yourself. My goodness, I am such a huge clutz! I am shocked I haven't dropped my kids (though I did drop an infant carseat when watching my friend's baby and I felt AWFUL...and it was in public!) Things HAPPEN. I bet you'll watch your footing on the steps like a hawk now lol.

Just hug your baby, tell her you're sorry and then say "It's ok mom, I forgive you. If this is the worst you screw me up we're golden" ;)
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 10:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• i had an allergic reaction to benadryl ...( i had no clue i was even allergic to it) I had gotten a bad sinus infection when my son was 4 months old and took some and was rocking him on the porch and it caused me to have a seizure. I dropped him..he got a bruise and cried..of course i didnt even know it..i just woke up and everyone was looking at me like "you fuc!in idiot!" I felt horrible..but they had rushed him to the ER and he was fine..they said that a baby is a lot tuffer than they look =) That made me feel better
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Aww I'm sorry! I'm glad you both are ok. And yea you did the right thing by having her checked out. I know you must feel terrible but you have to tell yourself it was just an accident and stop beating yourself up.

The other day I was carrying my 11 month old, we were coming inside from the porch and passing through a sliding glass doorway, well her head greeted the door quite loudly. She looked at me, frowned, and then started bawling. I felt awful!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I have a friend whos husband was carrying their daughter and he tripped over their little dog and lost his hold on her and threw her into a bookshelf (I think she was about 3 months old). She was fine and only had a few scratches on her head. It happens and do not beat youself up over it. Glad to hear you got it checked out and glad she is fine!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:44 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• First off Im sorry that happened. i left my daughter on the bed (in the center of the bed on a pillow) while i go check on the food in the oven. I was in there about 60 seconds when I heard her scream to the top of her lungs. I ran in the room and she was on the floor lying on her back screaming like crazy. After I picked her up and cuddled her she was fine. I made sure she responded to certain things like following my finger, pull up when I grab her hand ect. I didnt go to the ER she is just fine she was 3 mths she is now going on 5 mths next week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• When my son was only 4 days old my dh was exhausted from working a 12 hour day, and fell asleep cuddling him on the couch. I didn't think anything of it and was going through some stuff in the bedroom, and I heard my dh scream and freak, and then the baby screaming. My heart droped to the floor. He had passed out so cold that his arm that was holding the baby droped and he fell to the floor. It was only about 2 or 3 foot drop, but omg I wanted to die. I already had a bad case of the baby blues thinking I was going to do something wrong. He only cried for about a min and didnt leave any marks or anything. Took him is and he was and is just fine. Even though it was my dh and not myself he felt terribleand so did I. A friend told us that babies arent as breakable as we think, and just about everyone has had some sort of accident happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I was sleeping with my daughter on the couch when she was a couple weeks old, I jumped a little in my dream and let go of her. She rolled onto the floor and the only toy on the floor poked her in the head. :o( I felt so bad. She was fine. My ex husband was changing my son at my mothers and above him was a shelf with a heavy globe pencil sharpener (metal) he must have bumped the shelf and it fell on his head and left a puncture wound. I'm still not sure who was more upset my ex husband or my son (actually I'm pretty sure it was my ex husband poor guy) He had his 6 week pictures an hour after... he's 15 so I can laugh about it now. My last two have done most of the damage themselves. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• LOL!!! I'm glad to see I'm not the only mom who feels like an ass sometimes!!!! Poor mammas!!!! Yeah, my daughter's rolled off the bed several times & once divebombed out of her stroller headfirst onto the tile floor. Don't beat yourself up, stuff happens & kids are made out of rubber. Might wanna consider a comfy sling for when your walking up & down the stairs, that way if you trip you have both hands free to catch yourself & little one will be attached to you.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• thank you everyone! she didn't end up with a bruise afterall. what a little trooper!
    Anonymous