Are people so blatantly racist in other areas of the country?

I moved here to Arizona when I was a kid so I really don't know how other parts of the country are.
Everytime something negative happens in our community people immediately blame it on Mexicans.
If the news reports a drunk driver causing an accident, people automatically assume the driver was Mexican. If the news reports a theft, people assume the thief is Mexican. And so on.
I even saw once when a Mexican woman and her baby were killed while crossing the street by a red light runner and someone actually commented saying the mom and baby were "Mexican trash" and our community was better off without them.
Yesterday a 2 yr old escaped from his home and was found wandering the neighborhood. People immediately started commenting that is how Mexicans raise their kids, like wild animals, and don't care for their children. There was nothing in the newspaper article that even suggested the child or his family were Mexican. cont

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• cont. I see this all the time and I am so tired of it. I am white and my husband is from Mexico. I guess these comments are even more offensive to me now that I have half Hispanic children. I am so shocked at the horrible things people say and believe. Is this the way it is everywhere else? Or are people just this way here due to the large percentage of Hispanics here?
    Anonymous

• I live in a predominantly white area of NY state, so it's the same here, except you substitute "black" for "mexican". Everytime something happens, it was "one of those blacks". You should have seen how bad things got after Obama was elected!! It was openly acceptable to be racist (still is, in many neighborhoods). It's sad, because my daughter is half white. I don't want her to grow up thinking there is something wrong with being part black, and I don't want her growing up thinking that all white people are as ignorant as the ones who live in our town.

I grew up in San Francisco, California, where there is a mixture of races.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• yes, have you seen someo of the posts on CM
    Anonymous

• Guess you found one of your neighbors?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:38 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Well, most people don't like the fact that alot of the Mexicans who live here are illegal and cant speak a damn word of English. It rubs them the wrong way, Unfortunately because of that stereotype all the other Mexicans get the racist comments and stuff thrown at them even though they are born in this country and can speak English. Im from NC and people are racist towards blacks and Mexicans. My hubby is in the army and I met one of his army buddies who is from texas and he is unbelievably racist towards everyone. No matter where you go its there. Its just sad thats its in the army because Mexicans blacks white whatever dies together but there is some people who they work with that still hates them.
    Anonymous

• Well I Live nextdoor to you in Ca. I hear stuff like that too, but you know it is true sometimes but not just mexicans. For everyone! I see parents who raise "wild animal" children that are white mexican black asian etc... I think where we are its easier for some people to blame the immigrants because there are so many... and in my area most of them illegal. I think people are just angry at the mexican immigrants. The funny thing is. I know mexican people whose families are born and raised in the states for generations and they do it too. Is it racist if its against your own race? im not sure but they do it. Actually I think they do it more than anyone else.
    Anonymous

• OP:
    LOL yea notpanicking I was thinking the same thing about anon!!

Anyways, anon :36 like I said, my husband is Mexican and I guarantee you he wouldn't check your ugly ass out if he was paid to do it. Get over vain self.
    Anonymous

• English is not the USA's official language...as far as I know, there is NO official language. At least a lot of Mexicans can speak two languages...how many languages can most Americans speak?? My best friend (from childhood), came from Mexico not knowing a stick of English. 25 years later, she speaks English, German and Cantonese, in addition to Spanish. So who's the dumb one??
    Anonymous

• DAMN if it isnt anon central here tonight!

OP obviously it wouldnt always be a mexican..but I think some people just assume so at times..because it is mexican illegals who are the bulk of illegal immigration..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Who gives a shit if they know how to speak 2 languages. If im born in America then I would know English, if I move to Mexico then I would learn Spanish, Good for them knowing 2 languages. They should. If you move to a country that English is the dominate language then you learn English. Simple as that. Just because they know more than 2 languages doesn't mean they are smarter than me. I have no use to know more than one language. Im not going to a different country, so I have no need.
    Anonymous