How do you clean plush stuffed animals?

My 14 month old son has this Dakin plush teddy bear. When he was about four months old he had grabbed it off a shelf in Big Lots. He was smiling so big we let him hang on to it until we were done. We were really tight on money at the time so when we got to the check out we tried to take it away. He started crying and looked so sad that we ended up spending our last $4 on it. Ever since then it's his favorite toy. He won't go down for his nap or bed time unless he has it in his arms. But when he first started teething he carried everywhere. He wouldn't let us leave it at home. I have tied service cleaning it. I heard you could put it in the dryer to get off all the dust and stuff. I even had my husband steam clean it with the upholstery cleaner on his machine for work. Although I'm fairly sure the germs are dead, it still looks dirty. I can't seem to get all the dirt off. How can I clean all the dirt off with out ruining it?

SSLevy08

Asked by SSLevy08 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I've cleaned mine by putting them in fishnet bags and putting on gentle wash cycle.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 10:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Same as PP, but you can also put them in the freezer overnight to kill the germs!
    Christian-Mom79

Answer by Christian-Mom79 at 10:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I put stuffed animals in a pillow case and tie the end of it closed. It has never hurt any of my son's.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Yep, just like Ewadun said, I put all of my DD's stuffed animals in a lingerie bag and wash them on delicate. I leave them in the lingerie bags when I toss them into the dryer and dry them on low. I was them about once every 2 weeks and have done so for about 3 years now and have never had trouble with any of her stuffed animals. I always wash them with a load of light garments like panties and sleepwear.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I usually just toss stuffed animals in the washer and then let them air dry.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 11:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I put them in a regular wash cycle, usually with clothes of like color, and in the dryer along with the clothes. Never had an issue with any of them, and I've washed a ton of them!
    Anonymous

• I wash and dry all my kids build a bear animals in the washing machine. Maybe not ideal but they come out fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Nov. 21, 2009