What charities does your church/religion support? (For everyone)

This question is inspired by a discussion my husband and I were having the other day about the ways different denominations/beliefs looked on charitable "giving." I was just wondering what types of charities your church or religious group supports and what members of the community benefit from them? Sorry if this question isn't worded very well.

lizturner

Asked by lizturner at 11:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• various orphanages around the world, habitat for humanity, community clothes closet, sacklunch programs for the homeless, hannah house(pregnancy crisis center), free health clinic, backpack program for low-income public school students, local drug/alcohol rehab house, angeltree, adopt-a-family-christmas....the list goes on. (presbyterian, attendee-not yet a member)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• There's Catholic Charities which is a worldwide network of charities "reduce poverty, support families, and empower communities." It is the largest private network of social service organizations in the United States. There's also the Catholic Relief Services which is an international humanitarian agency. Those are two biggies - but there are thousands of other smaller Catholic charitable organizations.

My parish helps a multicultural center which provides free meals, has a food pantry, a medical clinic, education center for the disadvantaged. We also help support two homeless shelters. We support a sister parish in a poor, remote part of Mexico with money, education and a way to sell products that they make. That's just some of the work done.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:01 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Right now we are busy with Operation Christmas child which is affiliated with Sumerian's purse, Franklin Grahams ministry.  They make up shoe boxes to send to the ultra poor kids of the world.  We are also making food baskets for the hungry.  These will be donated to families that have requested them so they can have a nice Thanksgiving.  The H.S kids are involved with the rescue mission and having a blanket drive for the homeless.  During the year we primarily support an organization called Love Inc.  which unites churches with non-church agencies to meet individual needs throughout the community.  It's sort of an umbrella agency that anyone can use for most types of needs, especially short term or emergency needs.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:33 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Uh my church...is like well...me soooooo I support a few things. I support Autism Speaks, American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, both the Lehigh and Northampton County historical societies, Lehigh County Humane Society, ummmmm and I donate to this local church that has all sorts of programs. They have a half way house for both men and women, free turkeys and trees, blanket drive, school supply drive, summer lunch program for qualifying working families with school age kids, pregnancy education for teens, wow...they do so much more than that...oh the one I really support is this program they do to warn teens about the effects of drugs and alcohol.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:18 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• The religion of islam is pretty clear on charity. Every person who has the ability must give a yearly zakat for poor people, needy people and orphans.. this includes every leader of the Mosques. And additionally we also give charity anytime of the year.. all around the year to anyone we want.. rich or poor muslim or not.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:35 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Since there is no authority for Neopaganism, there is nobody to say "support this cause," but the belief system often moves it's followers to support environmental charities. Most Pagans I know personally belong to one or more environmental organization. One local coven (which I do not belong to but have participated in public events they with) volunteers once a month at a homeless shelter/food bank as a group. Another (which a friend of mine belongs to) has adopted a highway, so they clean up trash together on a regular basis. My family's charitable activity has been influenced by my daughter's extreme concern for the animals we share the world with. We belong to a handful of wildlife protection organizations & support the local animal shelter, as well as our general environmental support. Because of my passions, we also support some historical preservation organizations.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:40 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• IA with "nysa00" I belong to several Wildlife societies, also we give all the time to the local food pantries and churches (their help outlet they run") There is no one charity that I don't give to all the time and some stay (the eviromental ones and wildlife ones) the same as the season moves so does the giving and helping out around the area...
    As a Pagan we are not bound to any-one type of charity...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:12 AM on Nov. 21, 2009