What is your opinion of extended rear facing?

My daughter is almost a year old. We could turn her around then if we wanted, but I've seen far too many people talking about ERF to ignore it. I just was wondering what ya'll thought about it. I realize that there are two sides to the debate, so let's keep it civil, kay? I'll stay neutral.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 11:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I had to turn both my boys early. Like 9 or 10 months. They were long babies and were squished up and uncomfortable facing the rear.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 11:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It is unnecessary, in my opinion. My kids are 9 and 4, so it's a non-issue for me anymore.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I believe very strongly in ERF. I am a certified car seat technician and my 18 month old son is still rear facing. It is a lot safer and recommended for all children under two for a reason. If you would like you may go to youtube and type in "rear facing."
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 11:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Rear facing is the safest way to travel. Children should be rear facing as long as possible. Watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Whatever floats ya boat. Your kids, your business.

Mine turned around at 12 months.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Please tell me what a Certified Car seat Technician is? I think that it would be uncomfortable and be more risky for tall children...where are they supposed to put there legs and feet rear facing...
    BaseballMom34

Answer by BaseballMom34 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• A certified car seat technician is a person who has had special training on helping parents use their seat correctly You know how if you go to the fire station you can have your seat checked?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 11:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It is the safest way for any human being to ride in the car. Many traffic experts and lawmakers are considering a push to making the rule in the United States 2 years old and 30 pounds, not 1 year and 20 pounds because children are consistently being injured and hurt in accidents due to being turned around too early -- many children would still be alive had they simply ERFed. Do NOT listen to the uniformed people who mistakenly think it's "uncomfortable" for legs -- it really isn't. Not a single kid whines about their legs and they get very used to folding them for car travel. In other countries many children ERF until the age of FOUR. Guess what? Fewer dead children.
    Anonymous

• I turned mine when they reached the recommended weight and age limit. 20 lbs + 1 year.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• There are no reported cases of tall children hurting their legs because of rear facing. Even if that were to happen I would prefer it over a broken neck!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 11:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2009